Syncthing on Android V 0.12.0?

This Problem seems to be still persistent, also with version 7.2 . Someone knows a solution? I cannot upgrade through F-Droid.

There seems to be indeed a new problem the f-sync build encounters: https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/com.nutomic.syncthingandroid/lastbuild_77

It seems it has trouble finding the commit it wants to check out!?

0.7.3 is coming. Took us 4 releases, but now 0.7 should work :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the swift fixes (and the awesome software alltogether). It’s a pity that f-droid needs so much time to rebuild (it only attempts to do so once a day if I understand correctly).

3 Likes

0.7.4 is now on F-Droid!

4 Likes

Tanks a lot!

Why Syncthing updates is not available for Android 2.3? I have Version 0.6.6 installed and see no options in F-Droid for update to latest version :cry:

2.3 isn’t supported any more. Since 0.7.0, the minimum Android version is 3.0 (Honeycomb).

so anyone who has no choice in what version Android they are stuck with is SOL :’(

(personally stranded on 2.2)

Being stranded on a five year old OS seems like an issue with the Android ecosystem in general… It’s like the Windows XP of the mobile world. :confused:

Speaking not as a representative of the Syncthing Android team here as I have pretty much nothing to do with that part of the development, just as an innocent bystander.

and the irony there is my device is just over a year old…

as far as I can tell, it is not Android so much as it is device makers and cell phone companies that customize it an in their customization intentionally make it difficult to install anything other than their specially customized version, and then refuse to update it trying to force new device purchases

1 Like

Android 2.2 is 5 years old. There were a lot of changes since that time (including 4 new major versions). It takes a lot of extra work to make a modern app that’s still compatible with Gingerbread. At the same time, Gingerbread was only used by about 1% of our users before we stopped supporting it. Me and the other contributors don’t want to do that (we’re doing this in our free time after all).

If you want to use Syncthing on your phone, I suggest you get a newer phone (I honestly can’t understand how someone could build a Gingerbread device in 2014). It would also be possible for someone to create a “legacy” Syncthing app by forking our code.

I understand. If I knew enough about the languages involved, I’d most likely port Cyanogenmod to my phone (already looked, not currently supported, and not likely to happen), and then not have to worry about it.

(I can’t currently afford a newer phone, or I’d have it already)

@Nutomic, what would actually break if one took the lastes 0.6.x and just patched the current syncthing ARM binary inside? Have there been incompatible changes to the REST API / event API since then?

1 Like

Yes, there were some changes in the Rest API. You can check the changes between 0.7.0-beta1 and 0.7. (final) to see them.

If you want to make a compatibility release, the easiest option would probably be to remove the whole Android GUI, and just leave the WebGuiActivity. Then you could remove almost everything except SyncthingService, SyncthingRunnable and ConfigXml.