Can somebody help me with the following nightmare sync scenario. If I can’t understand what went wrong, I’ll have to stop using syncthing as data loss is too dangerous.
I’ve installed on 2 machines both running Manjaro Linux.
Did a test setup with folder A on both machines. Been using for a few weeks and everything seemed reliable. Setup simple versioning up to 1 level only.
For my real use, I copied about 330GB of data from usb hard drive onto both machines 1 & 2. I then setup folder B on machine 1 and let it create all the hash data etc. When completed, I setup folder B on machine 2 and let it create hash data and sync with machine 1.
This took a long time, but in the end everything was fine, with no data moved as it was duplicate data. Both had simple versioning to 1 layer.
On machine 2, I started restructuring the folder layout by moving physical folders inside syncthing folder B for a more organised layout.
I thought machine 1 would simply move everything relatively quickly, but it was taking hours on end, both re-hashing and also showing that it was ‘downloading’ files (even though it should just have moved files instead).
Because it was taking so long to sync machine 1, I also deleted a few folders on machine 1 equating to roughly 1GB.
At some point machine 1 disk became full, as files weren’t getting moved. They were getting deleted into the versioning .stversions folder. I had to delete the files in .stversions to create more space.
At same time new files were getting downloaded from machine 2 into machine 1 to sync.
Here’s the crazy result at the end of full sync.
1. Global Sync has gone from about 330GB to 220GB!!!
I don’t know why its all been deleted?
2. Local Sync on machine 2 has been slowly deleted from 330GB to 220GB to match the global sync. Same with machine 1, although I think physical check shows its more.
**3. Folder structure on machine 1 partially matched the newly created structure on machine 2, but but about 50% old structure still remains. **
4. There are load and loads of syncthing.*.tmp files everywhere in machine 1. Haven’t checked machine 2.
5. Many files on machine 1 now also show as 0 bytes.
Luckily I have a 3rd backup on usb disk, so will have to restore both computers to their full 330GB data.
This has really scared me from using syncthing in future, as I don’t know why its behaved so strangely and:
1. Deleted data
2. downloaded instead of moved large amounts of data.
3. Made many files 0 byte.
4. Created loads of syncthing.*.tmp files.
Please advise if this is a known issue as it seems unworkable for large data storage.
I can’t see this as normal, so need to figure out what went wrong and how to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Otherwise I need to look for a more reliable solution.