Syncthing + Mac M1 + Avid Nexis = Problem

Hello everyone!

I have used Syncthing for a while on Windows without any issues. Now I made the switch to an M1 Mac and am running into issues.

The Setup: I work remotely and want to sync data from the company to my homeoffice. On my side I have a Windows 11 PC. In the company there is an M1 Mac Mini connected to an Avid Nexis shared storage via Ethernet.

The Problem: When I try to sync a folder that is located on the Mac Mini system drive everything works as expected. When I try to sync a folder that is located on one of the mounted Nexis network drives the .stfolder is not created in the corresponding directory and therefore syncing does not work.

What I tried so far: After some trial and error I discovered that I can not change read & write permissions for any folder located on one of the Nexis drives. I always get an error message saying: “The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission.” I am on an Admin-Account, of course. I tried disabling System Integrity Protection on the Mac, but I still get the same error. So I guess the .stfolder maybe can’t be created because of missing write permissions.

Any ideas to solve this are welcome!

This sounds like a question to Avid more than a question for us, to be honest. I at least have no idea.

Hello!

You will need to make sure your Nexis User (the one you’re connected as in the Client Manager) has full read/write access, by setting these permissions in the admin web console (usually @192.168.10.2).

On the later Windows Clients, Syncthing (as well as many other apps) are unable to write to Nexis workspaces. You may be out of luck if the same problem is present on Mac because M1 support is only present in the last couple of Client versions.

Do not expect particularly good performance. The events system on the Nexis is proprietary also, so the filesystem watcher will not work (except for files added to Nexis via the same machine Syncthing is running on).

Thanks

If the volume is really read only for the user you are mounting it with, then of course Syncthing cannot sync changes to it either. You will have to set it as a send-only folder type.

Regarding the folder marker .stfolder, there is a workaround for such circumstances. See Syncthing Configuration — Syncthing v1 documentation and FAQ — Syncthing v1 documentation

Thanks for the reply!

You will need to make sure your Nexis User (the one you’re connected as in the Client Manager) has full read/write access, by setting these permissions in the admin web console (usually @192.168.10.2).

The user has read/write access to everything.

On the later Windows Clients, Syncthing (as well as many other apps) are unable to write to Nexis workspaces.

I use the latest Windows Client on a different machine for testing purposes. There are no problems syncing and the performance is good. So I would expect to be able to do the same on Mac.

Thanks for the reply, acolomb!

If the volume is really read only for the user you are mounting it with, then of course Syncthing cannot sync changes to it either. You will have to set it as a send-only folder type.

The Mac-User account apparently has full rights. I can copy files from and to the shared storage and create and delete folders and files. However, if I try to access a directory on the shared drive via the terminal I get a “permission denied” message.

When I go to a folder on the shared storage and try to change the access level via “Get Info” for “Everyone” from “no access” to “Read & Write” I get an error saying “The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission”. But my user account is shown to have read/write access.

I find this very confusing :woozy_face:

Hi Sticknolt,

You won’t be able to set permissions from ‘Get Info’. Nexis doesn’t support permissions in that way, only via the Admin Console.

Not sure why you’d be able to access folders via Finder but not via Terminal however! That is curious. Not seen that but we only have Intel Macs.

Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.