Syncthing Leaving .tmp Files Behind After Sync

I’m using Syncthing to do a two way sync of a folder on two Windows systems. The folder is ~3GB in size and has a number of subfolders (13).

The initial sync seemed to work fine but this morning I renamed a number of the subfolders on one of the systems and noticed that the size of the folders no longer matched on both systems after the sync had finished.

After some inspection of the folders, I found the issue to be related to a number of Syncthing temp files (~syncthing~filename.tmp) that have been left behind on one of the systems. Only one of the thirteen subfolders is impacted but there are multiple temp files in the folder hierarchy on the system in question.

Both systems are reporting that they are “Up to Date” and I also tried restarting Syncthing on both systems to see if that would correct the issue but the files remained after the restart.

The Windows and Trayzor/Syncthing versions on both systems are: – Windows 7 x64: SyncTrayzor 1.1.18, Syncthing 0.14.42 – Windows 10 x64: SyncTrayzor 1.1.18, Syncthing 0.14.42

The directory renames were performed on the Windows 10 system and the Windows 7 system is the one with the temp files on it.

Can anyone tell me why this may have occurred and what needs to be done to correct the issue?

1 Like

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/faq.html#is-synchronization-fast

Thanks for the reply Audrius. I read through the link you sent. In relation to the temporary files, it says: “They are automatically removed whenever a file transfer has been completed or after the configured amount of time which is set in the configuration file (24 hours by default).”

Syncthing is indicating that the directory is in sync on both systems so wouldn’t that mean that the rename/transfer is complete and the files should have been removed?

1 Like

Something made a sync process abort in the middle of it at some point, producing these files, but now everything is fine. So if you don’t want to find out more, you don’t need to, you can just stay put and these files will vanish within the next 24h. To find out what exactly happened, look at logs for anything obviously related and/or anything involving the filenames that are present as temporary files. Also you may get clues by looking at whether there is a common denominator of these temp files.

Ok, I’ll check again tomorrow.

I had a look at the logs and there was one message that says: “Folder “FolderName” (FolderID) isn’t making progress. Pausing puller for 1m0s.”

That was the only message I could find that was related to the folder in question but it does seem to indicate that there was a problem so perhaps it encountered an issue and recovered as you indicated.

Thank you both for the replies - much appreciated.

Checked this evening and all the temp files have disappeared. The folders are now identical. Thanks again for the replies Audrius and Simon!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.