Syncthing LAN addressing with new mobo

Hello,

Browser is not seeing Syncthing webpage after a hardware change. I just installed a new motherboard on my Windows 11 Desktop. I went in and changed the system name to reflect the new motherboard and was using 192.168.1.144 as the static LAN address. The router picked up the new mobo and gave it a different [dynamic] address of 192.168.1.129. I restarted Syncthing and the browser would not load the Syncthing 192.168.1.129:8384/# webpage. I can go to the GUI address [127.0.0.1:8384/#] and see the Syncthing page just fine. On my Linux PC I can see the Syncthing webpage at 192.168.1.222:8384; which the Linux system is static addressed for 222. Files still go back and forth between the two pcs with no problems just as before I installed this new motherboard. Is there an area I need to look at as far making a link for the Windows PC so it “sees” the Synthing webpage at 192.168.1.129:8384/#?

thanks…

MisterEd

Assuming that you’re not using a reverse-proxy on your Windows PC (most likely not), you just need to update the IP address that Syncthing uses.

Right now, because you can get to the web GUI via http://127.0.0.1:8384, it means that Syncthing is configured to listen on 127.0.0.1 (technically referred to as “binding”).

Syncthing needs to know that you want to use the network adapter on your new motherboard that’s been assigned 192.168.1.129 by your router. In Syncthing’s web UI, click Actions → Settings → GUI and update the “GUI Listen Address” field.

(Syncthing’s The GUI Listen Address has more technical details.)

Well I should have left well enough alone as they used to say. I went into Settings and modified the GUI Listen Address and now nothing is working. The GUI address will not even come up in the browser now. :smiling_face_with_tear: And when I run the exe program and watch it in the command prompt window it is exiting out and closing the window down before I have a chance to read it. I am going to bed. Tomorrow is another day I guess.

No worries, it’s easy to directly modify Syncthing’s config.xml file with Notepad or another text editor. :slightly_smiling_face:

Locate the section that looks similar to the following:

    <gui enabled="true" tls="false" debugging="false">
        <address>127.0.0.1:8384</address>
        <apikey>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</apikey>
        <theme>default</theme>
    </gui>

Just change your 192.168.1.129 back to 127.0.0.1 to restore what you had before.

Check out Syncthing’s Syncthing Configuration for the default locations of Syncthing’s configuration folder.

Windows firewalls each network interface separately, so chances are that the network type is currently set to “Public”. Switch it to “Private” to open up the firewall for the NIC that’s been assigned 192.168.1.129, or manually add a firewall rule to open up port 8384 (opening up port 22000 would also help Syncthing).

1 Like

gadget,

A new day. And success!!! I went in and corrected an addressing error (a human one btw) in the config.xml file and Syncthing came right up. Thanks for your help. :+1: :+1: :+1:

Mister Ed