Syncthing IS also my real time backup soution

(Dick) #1

Despite the inventors recommend other software I consider distributing my data over various machines in different locations with versioning a viable way to save them from being stolen, corrupted, broken or otherwise lost. OK, I do a manual backup occasionally but syncting does it permanently.

Am I overlooking some cases it fails to protect my data?

(Antony Male) #2

Yes. You delete a file, or a disk failure causes Syncthing to think that a file has been deleted. As if by magic, it’s also deleted from all of your backups :slight_smile:

The same happens with corruption: any corrupted files are immediately replicated to all backups.

(Dick) #3

…and the correct files are in the versioning folder.

(Antony Male) #4

Yeah, the versioning folder helps. Bear in mind that old versions are removed from the versioning folder after a time, which could happen in the case of corruption.

(Jakob Borg) #5

I’d recommend file system snapshots instead of (or in addition to) the versioning, on the receiving side. ZFS snapshots, NTFS shadow copies, etc depending on your operating system of choice.

(Myke) #6

This is exactly how I do it. Syncthing + ZFS is wonderful :slight_smile:

(xor-gate) #7

Filesystem snapshots are nice, but a backup which is frozen and remotely stored is a real backup! E.g dedup backup tools like Borg backup, restic.