Syncthing home server

Anyone got any interesting setups of home server they’re willing to share?

Looking to set one up with a TBish of storage. I might run other things on there, such as a VPN. Any advice?

1 Like

I might be disqualified, but my setups are all all “home” type of setup. Currently I’m running the home Syncthing on FreeBSD with ZFS storage, syncing all my stuff to an off site server and my laptop. It’s all fairly straight forward apart from a few folders on the server being marked “master” as I don’t expect changes to happen anywhere else and want to protect against it.

Network wise I’ve allowed incoming connections to port 22000 via a port forward in the router, and the rest is all the usual dynamic discovery.

Only the small things are Syncthing-synced between server, laptop and off site. The big things (photos, mostly) are on server and offsite only and SMB-shared to the laptop. That’s what’s set to “master” on the server.

I’m running an ODROID C1 (with Arch Linux) and an external hard drive, which runs Syncthing fine, although hashing a TB might take it a while…

My central “Home” Syncthing Instance is running on my NAS (Simple Ubuntu Linux VM @ VMware ESXi) with some TBs of Storage. From there im syncing selected Folders to almost all Devices at Home (Notebook, Workstation, Smartphone, Tablet, Raspi…). The Setup is similiar to Jakob’s. The bigger Stuff which i dont need on the Notebook all the Time is directly served by an SMB Share.

Some of the Folders are also synced with an vServer which is located in an Datacenter. Its a kind of Offsite/Relay Server with Data Storage for me.

I have a “home” server setup as well, where Syncthing take a central role.

Running a Mac mini Server with 2 TB storage running 24/7, set up with VPN, SMB, Syncthing and more and connected to a 1 Gbps fiber connection. It is central file storage on my LAN, and “master” for a handful folders in Syncthing - to which I sync my MacBook wherever I go, and to an computer at my workplace as offsite backup. I have static IP at home, set up port forwarding for Syncthing (and VPN) and disabled all dynamic discoveries and relays. Can remote access the Mac mini from any computer or phone using VPN.

Been chugging om happily since April last year.

1 Like

Thanks for your ideas guys.

Take a look to Dietpi they have just added Syncthing (behind my advice :smile: ) available for most common board

I live in IL for the moment, my family is from SC, and my wife’s family is from PA. I set up servers for IL and SC to run a number of things. PA does not have a server, just a Mac that plugs into an external hard drive for CrashPlan. I run CrashPlan for backup at all 3 locations so that I have significant geographic redundancy as well as hard drive failure protection.

Each of the two servers is similar: Mini-ITX motherboard (one of those AMD systems on a chip) RAID-Z (RAID-5) ZFS setup with 3x2TB HDDs for 4TB total. 8-12GB RAM Ubuntu Server

The servers run: IL runs Apache for a few websites, also using Let’s Encrypt. IL runs Plex. SC runs Splunk and collects data from IL and SC.

Both run: Syncthing with my pictures and files (Syncthing also running on my MacBook Pro and my gaming desktop) CrashPlan (IL computers backup to IL, PA, and SC; SC computers backup to SC and there is a rsync job that syncs it to IL because the SC folks can’t be bothered to keep their computers on long enough to send data to IL, PA computers back up to PA and IL) VPN (watch TV while away!!) SSH etc.

It’s a great setup for me and my family as we have access to each other’s VPN in case football games are blacked out in the area or we are out of the country and Netflix is blocked in the country we are in. I have family dispersed throughout many locations inside and outside the US, so the geographic redundant backup works great. They aren’t powerful servers but they work great for me. I don’t need power. Each of them consumes less than 60W with all 3 drives running.

One great thing I use Syncthing for is to sync my Lightroom library between my gaming desktop (powerful) and my MacBook Pro (portable, always with me) so that I can have the power to edit photos on my desktop when at home and always sync my photos from afar.

I’m just setting up one with a tablet like PC “Pipo X8” drawing less then 10W even with load.

Since I’m running syncthing at home I’ll call it a home server. :slight_smile: I’m using it as a form of backup, keeping my NAS in the basement synced with a backup system in a Colo. Total files: 21500 Total space: ~6TB Generally works ok. Initial scan is a bear though, can take well over a day. Also, each major increment of syncthing seems to cause another rescan. (and fresh new database) 7.3G index-v0.11.0.db 4.3G index-v0.13.0.db 8.7G index-v0.14.0.db Beware of the growing databases, one of the systems didn’t have a huge FS for the OS itself and the syncthing databases filled it up. RAM-wise, it’s using about 500Meg on it’s own.

That folder should have been automatically deleted ages ago. If you don’t plan to revert back to the old version, you can safely delete the old db folder.

It’s a bug if its not though, and probably he should keep it where it is, open a bug, and help us resolve it.

No need, I can reproduce and I see the issue… :slight_smile:

Fixed in the next release.

1 Like

My home server/NAS is a Raspberry pi 2 with a 2TB HDD runing raspbian kernel 4.1.19.

Syncthing handles 600Gb data and about 175K files synced with about 10 peers using the PI as the central hub (mesh setup seems to overload the little PI and to never complete initial syncs on startup, but perhaps latest changes did solve this, I need to test).

The little machine handles it with efficiency and bravery despite having to share RAM with crashplan for backing up the whole file set.

It still manages to work as a light load fileserver (most files are actually synced on the actual desktops and laptops) and fileserver for multimedia gateways (no multimedia task on the pi itself).

Latest delta sync (0.14) really brought better performance on startup.

Cheers