SyncThing does not sync when versions don't match

I have modified some of the UI elements (only UI elements on index.html, nothing else) on SyncThing and removed stuff i don’t need, recompiled it etc, which makes SyncThing show “dirty” in version number, which is all fine and dandy, except it seems when using my own version with the public (original) version, these 2 don’t start syncing files.

My setup is that i have 2 machines, one has my own version which i use and the other one has the original version. When having these together, no sync happens. When i replace the original version with my version as well, it starts syncing files normally.

So i believe this is a bug? Hopefully not a feature.

RESOLVED!

@AudriusButkevicius

“There should be some reasons in the log definining why the two disconnected. I am sure a dirty version has nothing todo with this, as I am running multiple of them. If you checked out master, it’s 0.11 which is still marked as 0.10 as the official 0.11 tag is not there yet. Old 0.10 is not compatible with master.”

Which syncthing branch did you use for your version? Do you see errors in stdout? AFAIK the current master is incompatible with the latest release, because its the 0.11, not the 0.10. The two versions cannot sync with each other, as there were to many changes.

I’m using the version 0.10.30 on both machines, just one of the machines has the edited index.html version.

If the versions mismatches, on the UI i see “Disconnected” status at all times and at some intervals, it flashes the status as “Up to Date” and then goes back to “disconnected”. When both versions match, the status is “Up to Date” all the times, unless files change and need to be synced ofc.

I should also add that both machines have Windows OS installed.

There should be some reasons in the log definining why the two disconnected. I am sure a dirty version has nothing todo with this, as I am running multiple of them. If you checked out master, it’s 0.11 which is still marked as 0.10 as the official 0.11 tag is not there yet. Old 0.10 is not compatible with master.

Ah, yes, i see now, it seems i actually literally had the version difference since there is no tag there yet. Funny thing is, the version number was one of the things i stripped from the GUI, wanted to make it as clean as possible, now it bit me from my arse.

Thanks for the help, issue is resolved!