Hello to the Syncthing team,
This post may not be pleasant to read but I believe it will reflect the feeling of many lost users. Syncthing would be a great application if I could get it to work. I found the concept so convenient and powerfull that I spent DAYS… exploring your forum, youtube, google to try to get it to work but with no success. I did not want to give up. I tried really hard.
I see many problems:
- Documentation jumps from the “Quick start guide” to some very detailled “parameters, files, etc…”. For example, I did not find anything mentionning in the documentation how works the “Incoming rate limit”. Apparently it does not apply to local network. But I understood that after reading pages and pages on the forum…
- Questions on forums often do not lead to a ‘Solved’ conclusion.
- Support community just acts as if everybody would know everything of this tool by heart. The answer could be “Press the override button” but will not say where to find the override button. Then good luck. Tell me, the vocation of this tool is to be used by anybody, right? not only (Linux|Windows)&Networking experts.
- This tool is free and maintained by people doing their best. Thus I should not complain too much. Agreed. However, time is money and if this tool appears to be a trap because it requires high technical skills, then this should be printed on the home page. And on forums, you cannot finish a discussion by “If you are not happy, feel free to help!”. Syncthing users could be people who want to sync two PCs, have no skills to help and did not think they would spend some much time trying to get it to work.
- Some discussions finish by very technical recommendations that are almost impossible to understand to everybody (and even to engineers like me…). Answerers should consider that they are talking to idiots (like me).
After saying that, if you still accept to help, here is my problem:
I trying to sync 3 PCs: 2 under winwows7 and 1 under Vista. 5 shared folders with very large contents (1 folder is 191 Gb). Some of the folders (the smaller ones) synchronised. Not very quickly… but after fews days. The largest folders do not sync or (maybe) progress very very slowly. Some source folders are on 1 PC and do not replicate to the other PCs. Some other source folders are on another PC and do not replicate to the other PCs. (So this does not seem to be specific to one PC, for example the Vista PC).
I though, based on forums, that it was related to the UI interface running, then Firewall, Avast, relay, etc…
Then, in the console window, on a regular basis, I noticed the following message on hundreds of files: [MRDTA] 15:15:00 INFO: Puller (folder “SYNC DOCS PARTAGES” (xxxxx-yyyyy), file “toto.mp3”): finisher: pull: peers who had this file went away, or the file has changed while syncing. will retry later". In the replicating directories, I have hundreds of temp files: ~syncthing~myfile.JPG.tmp
I did not change any files in the source directory.
From the forums, I understood that I should “touch” the source files. There are thousens of them and on Windows, this is not easy to do.
For now, 80 Gb of the 190 Gb have been synced. But I am thinking of stopping the folder sharing and restart with a new folder. Do you have any suggestions. If yes, remember that I am an Idiot Best regards,