Syncthing crashing on Debian Stretch

Hi, I have two Syncthing servers. One is on a TrueNAS Scale, running as a container. The other is on a server on the interner running Debian Stretch. The two servers talk to each other. I confgured a single sync’d folder added some files to one end and they sync’d just fine.

I then add another folder at which point Syncthing just crashes every couple of minutes or less. I am looking to have 4 folders total and have got stuck at 1 working

It seems rock solid with a single folder - but unuseable with more than that. I have 4 folders configured, but only one is shared

v1.19.2, at both ends

Any ideas? There are lots of panic-20220423… etc files but I can’t make head not tail of them

You should definitely upload the panic logs :slightly_smiling_face:. They’re meant for debugging by developers, not for the user to analyse themselves :wink:.

Silly question - but is there anywhere special I should upload them to? They contain some confidential info

It took me a few minutes to find the obvious upload button - finally But is it OK to upload panic logs here?

You can remove the part between the first line and panic, essentially making them look like what’s shown at https://docs.syncthing.net/dev/crashrep.html, and then upload the files here.

OK, 1 Panic File as requested panic-20220423-193001.reported.log (342.4 KB)

Anything else I can provide?

Panic at 2022-04-23T19:30:01Z
fatal error: newosproc

It doesn’t show what build etc this is, but the error looks like it’s caused by the OS limiting the number of threads or processes. It’s not a Syncthing programming error that we can fix, at least.

hats interesting. And makes a certain amount of sense given its running on a shared platform. I have raised a ticket with the support desk (but it is a weekend) to see if they can comment.

Is there a way of limiting Syncthing to cause minimum impact. Speed is not the major issue here

Its build V1.19.2 on Debian Stretch

I don’t think there’s anything user configurable that will directly affect the number of threads used, unfortunately. Fewer folders, fewer peer devices, lower folder concurrency → less activity → fewer threads, maybe, but that’s about it. Oh, you can set the environment variable GOMAXPROCS=1 to fix the number of threads used for CPU work, but that’s probably not a major factor.

Thank you @calmh

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.