Syncthing crashing after updating to v1.27.1 / Windows 7 / runtime.asmstdcall()

I understand that it’s more or less hypothetical (ish) but it’s an interesting comment regardless.

Users had like 7 years the time to freely upgrade from 7 to 10, even hardware changes didn’t matter all too much, and now it would be too late to actually purchase a license:). Interesting view. In the end such things should simply be calculated over the period over which it’s used, and then even for the remaining 23 supported months it’s not a terrible deal, and it can be extended a little beyond that point anyways.

And for work-related devices this should be a non-issue anyways of course.

All-in-all it makes more sense to purchase a Windows 10 key now, than be still on Windows 7:)

2 Likes

I specifically registered and logged in for this

I learned about this software through a friend’s recommendation. It is a fantastic software that allows me to use cheap Raspberry Pi and a hard drive case to achieve the energy-saving and stable functions of NAS

Through the communication with many friends above, I learned that WIN7 is not supported after 1.27

At present, software updates have been suspended as a user of free software. I have no reason to complain, but I still hope that updates with such significant changes in the future can have a clear indication

After all, he is automatic

Sorry, my English is poor. This is the translated content

Except for those of us who ran MS’ test when Win-10 was first available…and got back that our system was incompatible - I’ve got a really old desktop…but it still works and I ain’t got the money to replace it.

There is an industrial machine two floors below me that is controlled by a program on windows xp. this program could not run on vista, 7, etc…
and to this day that computer is still running on windows xp :slight_smile:
Situations are different and upgrading the operating system may just not be possible.

I have a machine running windows 97. Beat that! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

In my last job, we had a KUKA KRC1 industrial robot which has Windows 95 as its underlying operating system. It still works today, if someone undergoes the effort of switching it on. Last time that was me a couple of months ago. Using Syncthing on that to sync 20 year old program code to a modern machine would be awesome :rofl:

I am using Syncthing for a long time. Among other places, I’m using it in my workplace at school to synchronize files on my phone, laptop and with Synctrayzor on a work computer running Windows 7. Today I wanted to sync files from my phone to the work computer–nope!

I can understand the decision to not support Windows 7, but it should have been handled in a completely different manner. The new version of Syncthing should detect it is running under Windows 7, turn off auto updates and roll back to a working version. This is abysmal UX at best! Very unprofessional.

This is just one more case against automatic updates in general.

1 Like

So the newer versions of Syncthing aren’t compatible with Windows 7, but Syncthing needs to actually start up in order to detect that it’s running under Windows 7… quite a conundrum. :wink:

(By the way, technically it’s the Go project that’s phased out support for Windows 7.)

Very true, especially on operating systems that are no longer supported.

The behavior I mentioned exists in other places for a long time. For example, Windows programs would contain a DOS stub which would print out a message about not being run under Windows and gracefully exit. Or, programs requiring a newer version of Windows would present a message about that and exit.

Meanwhile, things like Cosmopolitan exist. In other words, Go sucks.

Syncthing is unprofessional, Go sucks, but you’re the one on a work computer running an unsupported OS while not really doing the management to increase the odds of stuff not breaking?

Can’t have the cake and eat it too.

And sure, ideally Syncthing would prevent upgrading to unsupported versions. And there’s an issue made for this, to figure out the ifs and hows.

4 Likes

I’m not in a position to manage the requisition of hardware and software in my workplace. Go figure.

Then talk to whoever is in charge :wink: You’re kicking at the consequences instead of the causing issue.

3 Likes

Any update on this issue? Is it ever going to be fixed - or is there an alternative to ST that can be used reliably?

As in continued compatibility with Windows 7?

If so, unlikely because it’s really out of the Syncthing project’s control short of holding back the version of Go (which then will cause its own issues.)

As for an alternative to Syncthing, if it must run on Windows 7, the pool of options is slowly shrinking. Would need to know details of the use case in order to offer any potentially suitable alternatives.

At this moment, until Go v1.22 is released, you can still compile Syncthing using Go v1.20, and that will run under Windows 7 just fine, so it’s possible to “prolong” the support this way. Alternatively, you can just stay at the official v1.27.0 release with updates disabled, and this version should continue to work and sync with newer Syncthing versions for a few more years at least. Considering the fact the OS isn’t receiving updates any more, it probably won’t matter that Syncthing won’t receive any more updates as well.

1 Like

I’m using it on an old server (it is out of my control to upgrade the OS currently) - it simply keeps some processing data in sync from an upstream server. Good to know it will remain compatible for a while - just a shame that it broke without notice of course, considering how reliable ST is otherwise. I’d like to see the official download page updated with info on OS compatibility, with a link to the last compatible version for legacy OS users - perhaps a version that does not try and auto-upgrade OOTB? I’d assume it could check the OS version before trying to upgrade?

I don’t think we should list “last compatible versions” or whatever.

You are on a non-supported OS version, I don’t care you can’t upgrade it, I have no sympathy for that, and we in no way should help or encourage that.

Instead of telling us how you can’t upgrade, you should go and tell whoever is blocking your upgrade how much you need to upgrade.

People should really get off old software, it’s usually insecure and makes internet a worse place than it needs to be.

I do agree that breakage was bad and that we perhaps should target upgrades more granularity, but doing that is fairly hard/complicated, and I’d rather that complexity goes to someone else (people with ancient OS’es for example).

Note this is my personal opinion, not one that might be supported by other maintainers.

1 Like

A page in the Docs with the last known working version of Syncthing under a specific OS wouldn’t hurt, would it? Maybe not with download links and such, but just for informational purposes?

There are genuine cases where people simply cannot upgrade (e.g. old Macs) or are restricted by their environment (e.g. work, school, etc.). I can speak from experience regarding the education field - money is always lacking and combinations of ancient hardware paired with outdated software are commonplace.

Older topic with a similar discussion for reference: https://forum.syncthing.net/t/oldest-supported-macos-version/11611/6.

1 Like

Certainly. However, I’m not volunteering to keep it up to date. Perhaps just add information to it after the fact (i.e., when breakage is noted, add an entry that the previous version is the last to work). I’d suggest sticking it on the releases page, and maybe reorganising that page to make the most relevant stuff more prominent.

I have all kinds of sympathy for the various reasons people need (or want to) to run an old operating system; it’s just that they will have to run an old Syncthing as well, and themselves be aware of limitations and lack of support when upgrading. I think this is fair.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.