Syncthing based Evernote alternative

I use Ditto. It keeps your clips in a Ditto.db file you can sync across devices. However, it is only for Windows. Also you have to modify it’s options to make sure the database size stays small. It will copy entire files and folders if you let it.

Handover syncs clipboards, and web links from certain apps like Chrome and Youtube. Works on almost any OS. It requires root and Xposed.

You must consider the security problem when keeping your entire clip history in sync. You often, unconsciously clip confidential information. Could be dangerous.

Why not sync the Evernote database file? It’s large so I could see where that would slow things down. Any other obstacles?

Alternatively, is there an app that allows you to paste entire web pages like Evernote does? This is my primary use of it.

Why not sync the Evernote database file?

Not a good idea, it’ll definately break things on ALL of your evernote clients. don’t try it!

On the other hand, I don’t think, syncthing will ever sync the evernote-database completely, because its locked by evernote when the program is running (which will be most of the time for 95% of the evernote users). Additionaly, the database will change a lot of times while evernote is running and syncthing can’t catch up…

So it will only sync the database, when evernote is closed on all clients, and this -IMHO only!- will not be a normal usecase.

I repeat: don’t try it!

1 Like

Just want to give you guys a quick heads up: There is a new taspaces version, which is way better than the old one and seems to suit as an Evernote alternative (at least for me) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use Markor on Android: https://github.com/gsantner/markor, it organizes the notes as plain-text files. On the computer I edit them with any text-editor that I have at hand.

After testing a lot of suggestions here, I found Joplin has all the things that I need.

1. Windows and Android checked
  2. Sync without server checked
  3. Free and quite easy to use checked.
  4. Encryption checked (even though it only syncs from end to end I kinda want this feature from my paranoid side, and it’s quite cool to have)

A little tricky at first as I mistakenly set both encryptions on Android and Windows. They clashed (maybe I miss-typed the passcode). So I did a clean install on both and only enable encryption on my main Windows. After that, everything other devices will ask for the key. Now it syncs smoothly on all of my devices. 2 Windows boxes and 2 Android devices.

I’m quite happy right now.

1 Like

Joplin is very good, but unfortunately it does not support normal file names and subfolders. All file names is encrypted, when you try to rename the program simply deletes this note in its database. Such an organization of work is no good.

Markor is what I was looking for! Notes are organized into files and folders, support recursive search. Actively developing. It works fast. There are many options. Supports the format “todo.txt”.

1 Like

I think there is much to be said for documents that aren’t in a proprietary format. That rules out Joplin for the reason heXor lays out above, or indeed anything with a database. I’ve got a collection of plain text files. I look at them all all the time. Some of them are now 30 years old, written on an Atari ST. They are in a Zim wiki. Zim is a brilliant piece of software, BUT you must be careful because Syncthing sometimes makes conflict files. It’s obvious when this happens though, and touch wood I’ve never lost data. I use Meld to compare them manually. My next project will be to use Sparkleshare with Zim, or learn about the version control plugin that comes with Zim.