Syncthing app 0.5.11 dies on first run

I’m testing my build environment, and to check that things are okay, I checked out version 0.5.11 and ran gradlew assembleDebug successfully. I installed syncthing-android-armeabi_v7a-debug.apk on my Samsung S2 without problems. However, the app crashes twice and dies after running for the first time. LogCat reveals that the culprit is SyncthingService.java

protected Pair<String, String> doInBackground(Void... voids) {
            moveConfigFiles();
            mConfig = new ConfigXml(SyncthingService.this);
            return new Pair<>(mConfig.getWebGuiUrl(), mConfig.getApiKey());
        }

calling ConfigXML.java

try {
            DocumentBuilder db = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance().newDocumentBuilder();
            mConfig = db.parse(mConfigFile);

where the error is caused by a no such file or directory for the file /data/data/com.nutomic.syncthingandroid.debug/files.config.xml.

Update: Installing 0.5.11 via F-droid works just fine.

Do the libs/xxx/libsyncthing.so files exist in your project directory? And is there a lib/xxx/libsyncthing.so file in your apk?

Yes, both of those files exist in those locations, where xxx == armeabi-v7a.

I figured out the problem. It was just me being a stupid. I had not independently updated the ext/syncthing/src/github.com/syncthing/syncthing repo to v0.10.10. After doing so I recompiled and the app works now.

Hopefully this thread will be justified if someone else makes the same careless mistake…

I’m not sure what you mean with “independently update”. The app doesn’t depend on any specific syncthing version, and in any case, a git pull from my repo should also update the submodule.