Syncthing and gnote, best way to set it up?

A forum search on the term gnote produced no hits, so apparently I’m the first to ask this question, of anyone who already has it working.

I now have it working by syncing the gnote data directly from its default location, which is: ~/.local/share/gnote/

with gnote’s internal sync plug-in disabled. As a (very) new Syncthing user, I was concerned I’d run into a conflict between the add-on and Syncthing, with both trying to update files, perhaps in different ways.

My impression is, that gnote’s internal sync function is really intended to be used where multiple instances of gnote are ‘looking’ at the same folder, that’s being updated only by the ‘other’ gnote instances – and not by an external synchronizing utility.

The way I now have Syncthing configured, the synchronized gnote files are updated only after I exit, then restart, gnote.

Is anyone successfully running gnote with its Local Directory Sync Service Add-in (v.0.2), in combination with a Syncthing-controlled directory – and are there any precautions to be taken for correct and optimal operation, when using it in this way?

:cry: No one else uses Syncthing, together with gnote’s sync capability?

I don’t, but I am sure you can get help for your problem if you state it more generally. If you can describe what gnote does/needs someone can problem say whether that harmonizes with Syncthing or not.

:blush: Thanks for the input!

That reason for lack of a response never occurred to me.

Gnote a clone of Tomboy, rewritten in C++ to run without Mono, but this probably wouldn’t help much, either.

I’ll start another thread with a different Subject, along the lines of your suggestion.

The title can be changed ;), no need for a new thread. If you can’t do it yourself, you can ask the “mods” to do so.

@RonCam, in basic terms - all Syncthing does is detecting when file is updated on disk, and then sync that change to other devices.

I use ST to sync data for many programs that don’t formally have any sync capabilities, for example: a program have some Profile directory with user’s data in it and config files. As long as the data in it is of “portable nature” (i.e. not tied to device’s hardware serial numbers or something in that spirit), it can be synced easily.

Just make sure to use this SW on one machine at a time (unless this specific SW can handle live changes to it’s data, but don’t just assume it)

Bottom line: back stuff up, and try it :wink:

@scienmind, right now, set up as in your second paragraph, a restarting of Gnote is needed to view any changed data.

I’ll try it with the Sync Service Add-on enabled, and see what happens. Then, Gnote is supposed to handle live changes, whenever the user clicks the menu selection ‘Synchronize’.

From your experience, it’s my impression this should not create problems even though the two Gnote instances are on different machines. The Gnote documentations does touch on synchronization, but not in extreme detail and without reference to using an external sync utility.

Gnote is the first program I ever set-up with Syncthing and by the time I got it syncing perfectly, even if only in its most basic sense, I’ll admit to being ‘all hacked out’ by that time, and was hoping another user had already traveled same the path I was on, and had it running optimally with its built-in synchronization add-on enabled.

Apparently Gnote and Tomboy are not as popular in the Syncthing community, as had I imagined they might be …

:sweat_smile: So then, after a break for rest, it’s back to work!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.