Sync stalls when phone is not active.

I seem to be having a strange and very frustrating issue.

Syncthing downloads at 4MBps, yet as soon as you stop using the phone for 5 seconds it slows to a crawl and reaches 0.

It has nothing to do with the App itself or the screen being on or off.

As soon as I start scrolling my apps or gallery screen the sync resumes at full speed.

This makes syncthing basically unusable for me.

I was on Android 12 and thought it may be an OS bug, so I decided to update to Android 13. Unfortunately the issues is still there.

Its probably phone vendors battery optimization shenanigans, which effectively suspends the apps when the screen is off.

1 Like

I had this in the past, and yes, it’s the ROM your running. There should be a line in the adb log which is like "freezing app … syncthingandroid " when it goes to zero transfer. Switched mine to PixelExperience rom 12/12.1 and now 13 and all is fine.

I have tried all the following:

1. Disable battery optimisation. (Unrestricted mode)
  2. Keep screen on for 10 minutes.
  3. Keep screen on while charging.
  4. CPU on Max/High Performance.
  5. Upgrade from Android 12 to 13.

No matter if the App is in the foreground or in the background, the screen will be on and after 5-10 seconds of no phone activity (not touching screen), the transfer will stall, once you touch the screen, the transfer will resume at max speed (4MBps+).

@Catfriend1 - It certainly sounds like some baked in CPU sleep/freeze beyond my control. I really hope I don’t have to install a custom ROM for this to work.

1 Like

Have you tried adjusting the options in Syncthing under Settings? (specifically “Run Conditions” and “Experimental”)

Some of them might be helpful.

What’s the make/model of your Android device?

1 Like

I’ve been having the same problem with a custom rom on android 13. It seems to have been solved by enabling the following option: Experimental → Keep CPU active while running syncthing.

With your Android is local on the same LAN, try this :

When your Android shows offline in your other device, check if you can ping it: this will tell if Syncthing went asleep or if the WiFi went asleep.

No issue with these setting on A13 (and no experimental ST feature set)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.