Sycthing guide has alot of info but confusing for average people

"In normal configuration, Syncthing will always connect to relays, as it cannot know, if other devices need them and will connect through them to it.

To be totally private (to the extreme), disable relay and global/local discovery, set the listening address to something explicit, like tcp://:22000 instead of default and set the addresses of the remote devices to their hostname/ip address and port (like tcp://192.168.01.45:22001) instead of dynamic. And disable usage reporting and auto upgrade (if you really want).

Then the only connections Syncthing will ever make are direct connections to the other syncthing devices."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

regarding the comment above,

can i add listening address to tcp://:12345 or tcp://:56789 instead of tcp://:22000.

and if i dont add remote devices address like tcp://192.168.01.45:22000 and i add like 22001 or 22002 it doesn’t connects to it.

i added password and username to gui but it adds serveral other characters to it(password). i think its not working.

when i go to 127.0.0.1:8384 address the android gui and windows’ gui have different GUI Authentication User name. so if i add the password on gui windows, is it added to android gui too. im asking this cuz both have this 127.0.0.1:8384 web-address.

do i need to setup both android phone and pc windows’ syncthing listen address to connect both pc and phone. and does the listen address of pc and phone needs to be same like tcp://:22000.

Something seems very confusing here. The address 127.0.0.1 only works on the local device, which means that if you enter 127.0.0.1:8384 on Windows, you will open the Syncthing Web GUI that runs on that Windows device. Similarly, if you enter 127.0.0.1:8384 on Android, you will open the Syncthing Web GUI that runs on the Android device (although you aren’t normally supposed to do that there, as the app already provides access to Syncthing).

In general, the average user shouldn’t really be playing around with any of those settings, i.e. just leave discovery, relaying, etc. enabled and Syncthing will take care of all connectivity. If you decide to disable those and use hard-coded addresses instead, then you’re more on your own here, although the Docs does provide information that should be enough for a technical person to understand and get around the configuration.

When it comes to the specific questions, can you post screenshots of the Web GUI with all the settings that you’re trying to change?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.