switch install via Trayzor to Service based setup

Running 1.18.0 via SyncTrazor application (launch after login) on 2 Windows File Servers and need to switch to ST as a service. It was a proof of concept which worked (replaced Resilio), but I never switched it over to the service. I need to make sure a full resync doesn’t occur on switch from app to service. Any recommendations on switching from SyncTrayzor application to Windows system service?

Stats: Local State: 2.1+ million files, 600k+ folders, 4.55TB 2 Sync Endpoints

Thanks!

Service really (this would require additional software, AFAIR NSSM is the one here)? You can instead run ST from task scheduler on boot on behalf the same user it runs currently. Just “force” the -home= parameter (or both -config= and -data=): although it should not be required I sometimes (seldom) noticed a default GUI on a PC with huge load on boot. I can’t see why a full resync would trigger, and even it happens this won’t make the data in your shares to be sent again.

There’s a section on starting Syncthing automatically in the documentation. As for switching from a SyncTrayzor set-up, when you uninstall SyncTrayzor it leaves behind all Syncthing configuration which can be re-used for the service, or moved as desired.

As always, take a complete backup of all synced data and configuration before starting.

I am developing a Windows installer that has the following features:

• Install for current user (default install directory of %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Programs\Syncthing) or as administrator (default install directory %ProgramFiles%\Syncthing, with configuration files in %SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Syncthing)

• Installs 32-bit executables if OS is 32-bit; installs 64-bit executables if OS is 64-bit

• If installing as admin, you can install as a Windows service

• Windows service runs using LOCAL SERVICE account (not SYSTEM) and runs using low priority and startup mode of “Automatic (Delayed Start)”

• If installing as admin, automatically adds a Windows firewall rule for syncthing.exe

• Creates Start Menu shortcuts (optional) for the GUI and also the PDF documents from the download

• If installing service, GUI listen address and port are customizable

• Service installation permits disabling of automatic update feature (if needed)

The installer is written using Inno Setup 6.0.5.

The goal is to provide a lightweight (<20MB) Windows installer for Syncthing that supports easily running as a Windows service.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

1 Like

I’m interested, but why not incorporate these features into the Trayzor solution?

I looked at it briefly, but that tool seems to me like a lot of overhead for not a whole lot of benefit (IMO).

I typically use Trayzor since it supports a # of features I don’t get in the regular install via NSSM (service wrapper). I have done the NSSM approach. Highlights below.

Handy Trayzor Features

• Can pause devices on metered networks, to stop Syncthing transferring data on e.g. a mobile connection or wifi hotspot.
  • Tray icon indicates when synchronization is occurring.
  • Alerts you when: You have file conflicts; One of your folders is out of sync; Folders finish syncing; Devices connect / disconnect
  • Can watch your folders for changes, so you don’t have to poll them frequently.
  • Has a tool to help you resolve file conflicts.

Also, I’d strongly recommend you open-source or allow the code to be reviewed, since I’d have concerns about random (sorry, but I don’t know you) 3rd parties inject code via a wrapper into open-source projects.

It will be open source on GitHub with documentation.

Windows installer 1.18.5 is released. Documentation and download:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.