Suggestion for the Forum: Add a "Solution" button?

Hi,

could we please enable a “Solution” button in the forum so users can mark correct and helpful posts that helped them out?

image image

Kind regards, Catfriend1

I’m sure there’s a plugin for that that could be added. (I think we hade it at some point, even.) However I’m not 100% sure what concrete problem it solves and I’ve always felt it adds a bunch of visual clutter, and results in nagging to get people to mark things solved. Do we really need/want that?

2 Likes

That would mostly work but i’m also afraid that some “solutions” should not be tagged as such. e.g dangerous workarounds or things which are far from best practices

1 Like

I second that personally. I wouldn’t say the solutions are necessary dangerous, but if you look at Stackoverflow, for example, in many cases other answers or even comments provide way better solutions to the question than the one marked as such.

1 Like

Just noting that on Discourse solutions can usually be marked or unmarked by all users with high trust level status (Regulars, moderators…). This means that if a moderator (or user) doesn’t like a marked solution, they can easily change that. They can also mark solutions themselves, if the OP didn’t do that on their own.

My personal opinion is that these ‘mark the solution’ are often not that helpful. A discussion evolves and you can only mark a single reply as a solution - but a single post often doesn’t give the full picture about the discussion and the final conclusion. This is only true for an ideal post, where all issues are presented in the original question and a single reply gives a complete answer.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your feedback on this :slight_smile:

1 Like