Standalone infrastructure ?

Hi, I would like to know if it’s possible to build a full standalone infrastructure ? What kind of server(s) are needed if it’s possible ? And is it possible to use a Rapsberry Pi ? Thank you !

1 Like

It is possible. Depending on your needs, you will need to run your own st-relay and st-discovery server.

But if most of the nodes are behind a home internet connection, you can use dyndns and port forwardings for those nodes, and set the remote device adresses on the other nodes accordingly, so there is no need for relay or discovery. This isn’t possible for mobile nodes, so if you want mobile nodes to always be able to connect to each other, you will need discovery and probably also relay.

How to run a relay and a discovery server and how to setup syncthing for your private servers can be found in the docs.

Raspberry Pi is a little underpowered, if you want to run all servers + syncthing on it. Without syncthing should be fine.

Thank you ! I would like to use 5 PC and 3 mobiles as nodes, so I will need probably both servers. The bandwith isn’t very important for st-relay and st-discovery, there are only used to “communicate” between nodes ? And I don’t want to run syncthing on Pi, only servers. Is the Pi 2 sufficient or Pi 3 is needed ? Thank you.

The discovery server will only handle metadata (which device id has which ip), but the relay server will transfer the real data between the nodes. This is needed if both devices are behind a firewall or cannot open a port on it (which is the case for mobile devices when on mobile data with most mobile ISPs).

If you setup manual port forward for the 5 PCs and use DynDNS, all PC can sync with each other without relay or discovery and all mobile devices can sync with all PCs, but not with each other directly. They will have to sync with a PC and the other mobiles will get the changes from the PC.