Space synced file on the remote device

When the original folder is on the local PC and takes up say 1GB of space. Then what is the space it occupies on my Android phone?

1. Is that also 1GB?
  2. Is there a difference in the volume on the “remote device” (the android phone) when synced one way- or bidirectionally?

Loosely speaking, the total number of bytes per file on the phone will be the same as on the PC.

Strictly speaking, the actual usage will not be the same due to differences in filesystems. If your PC is running Windows, it’s most likely storing files on a NTFS volume while Android uses FAT for user data.

NTFS and FAT use different block sizes depending on the storage capacity. NTFS can be more efficient with regards to slack space on smaller drives, but the defaults might not be optimal for terabyte size drives when there are lots of small files.

No.

1 Like

@gadget. so generally you can say that on the phone a mirror of the original folder is placed, withy the same space, regardless of the type of storage format. Do I understand that correctly?

It depends on how the size is being viewed…

If you manually add up every file size on the PC and compare it to the phone, it’ll match.

But if you pull up a file manager on the PC and on Android and ask it how much drive space is being used, the totals will be different due to the types of filesystems in use.

Sometimes the PC will be using more drive space, sometimes it’ll be the phone.

If you’re using Windows on the PC, open the file manager, right-click on the folder, and select “Properties”. In the properties panel it’ll show “Size” and “Size on disk”. The former is the file by file total, while the latter is the physical space occupied on the disk which is larger (unless compression is available).

But we are talking differences of a few kilobytes.

Yes. Folder type doesn’t matter, syncthings purpose is to make both sides have the same set of files.

OK, this is clear to me now. My concern is not the exact number of bytes, but to know whether on the (here in this case) both devices the files are mirrored. As a result, I have to take into account the storage capacity of the phone when I want to “Syncthing” files and/or folders. That storage capacity may then become a problem if the original (large) folder is ‘Syncthinged’ to the Android phone with too little storage capacity . I do know that in that case one has to make a choice of which files…, but is always a hassle. and choosing is losing…

For me the question is solved. (this is my first question on the forum and I don’t know if or how this should be labeled “solved”)

Thanks !

In Syncthing’s web GUI for both desktop and mobile app, per folder under Edit → Advanced, there’s a “Minimum Free Disk Space” setting that controls when Syncthing will pausing syncing and display a warning.

Also see the Ignoring Files page in Syncthing’s documentation regarding setting up filter patterns for excluding/including specific files.

Although it doesn’t avoid having to make choices on what to sync, it does help with making managing it easier.

No worries. I don’t think there’s a formal process, so just a short note about things working out (or not) is the most common method I’ve seen. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like