[Solved] Folder sync stopped due to "insufficient" disk space

I keep getting the following in ST’s output:

[KKAP5] 13:44:37 INFO: Puller (folder "*****"): insufficient disk space available to pull 14792 files (63193.80MB)

The folder is then no longer synchronized. There is very close to that amount of disk space actually available (62781 MB to be exact) Is this normal behavior? Why would it not continue pulling files until there actually is insufficient space and then stop? Is there a (configuration) workaround for this?

Apologies for all the questions :smile:

how big is your drive? how much free space is left?

It’s normal, as the sync will not be able to complete. It could be argued that it could fetch some of those 62 gigs before giving up, though. You can set the minimum disk space percentage for that folder to zero to disable this check and proceed anyway.

To avoid filling the disk completely… Consider that you may have 2 GB free space, and we have files to pull that are 1GB, 512 MB, 256 MB, …, 1 MIB, 512 KB and so on large. We could get to the point where there is just a single kilobyte left on the disk before we give up due to not finding a file that can fit there.

also there are some file systems like ZFS that should not reach 100% used space

how big is your drive? how much free space is left?

I have enough free space to sync maybe 95% of those files. I won’t let the disk run completely out of space. It just seems odd that nothing syncs considering there’s 60 GB or so free and each file is 4-5 MB large. It takes a while to sync anyway and that would allow me ample time to clean up what I have to in the meantime.

You can set the minimum disk space percentage for that folder to zero to disable this check and proceed anyway.

It is set to zero but it doesn’t sync anyway. This is the right setting, right?:

<minHomeDiskFreePct>0</minHomeDiskFreePct>

No. That’s the corresponding setting for the home disk, where the index database lives. There’s another one specifically on the folder.

Possibly the behavior in this case is a bit over the top and we should slam on the brakes a bit later.

The intention is for this check to prevent the case where the default percentage check succeeds (say, you have 150 MB free on your 8 GB memory card, 1.8%) but are trying to sync a change to a large file (say, a 600 MB movie file). We don’t want to fill the disk with the temp file in that case.

minDiskFreePct is what you need to change, you can do that in config.xml or via the GUI - advanced settings and then expand the panels for each folder

Thanks guys.

Sorry, my bad, I pasted the wrong property. The folder-specific one is also set to zero but still did not sync:

<minDiskFreePct>0</minDiskFreePct>

I set it to 1 just to see if anything would happen - it started syncing. Set it back to 0 - syncing resumed. Is the config file cached or something and not read unless the timestamp changed (for example)? I just don’t understand why it would behave like this for me :pensive:

You have to restart Syncthing so the new config takes effect. There’s no caching though.

Yes, I did restart it. I’m just surprised the initial config didn’t work but kicked in after I changed it and then reverted back to the original (with restarts inbetween).

Anyway, thanks all for the help, problem solved now.

1 Like