Slow Download Speeds <400KiB/s

On my windows computer the disk’s average response time is between 0-3ms and on my seedbox the %iowait time is 19.00.

I’m not sure if thats what your looking for, if not what exactly should I be looking for?

20 is fairly high, implying the disks are struggling to keep up.

Is there anything I can do right now to try to improve it? (However I maybe limited since I don’t have full administrative access to the seedbox)

Or should I just wait to see if it fixes itself over time

I assume the load should be high on the machine, without noticeable high cpu load. You can check that via top or htop.

Is it faster if you use a VPN (something like Cloudflare’s 1.1.1.1 should be enough to test)?

Would tell you if it is a network issue (eg: ISP throttling P2P traffic or something between your ISP and the server).

No I used a VPN and still got the same slow speeds

What should I be looking for in htop?

Load

Here is a screenshot of htop on my seedbox

Unless you are running on a 18 core machine, your are bottlenecked on cpu, as the load is 35.

Htop doesn’t show iowait (top does maybe?), but my money is that the load is high because the cpu is burning cycles waiting for the hard drives to respond, because the storage is slow.

It could also be amplified if syncthings database is stored on the same spinning disks, so syncthing its fighting itself trying to do its job.

Not by default but it’s easy to configure:

Setup > Display options > Detailed CPU time

Just to be sure, have you tryed to disable all stuff like ‘nat traversal’, ‘global detection’ and ‘relaying’? so you are use to use a local connectoin? Somewhere in the same menu, there is a throtlle limit. Best set that to 0 to use on throtling.

Then, is this a fresh sync (empty directory at one end) or is it a sync with history so there is something to compare?

Do not disable global discovery. Not only does it not prevent connections over the internet, it might prevent a local connection: If local discovery isn’t working (router settings, different subnets, …) the local address can still be discovered using global discovery.

1 Like

For daily use you are right, discovery should be endabled to get going.

In this case however, there are speed issues which I expcet might be due to ‘not the fastest route’ so to say. Hence if syncthing is somehow forced to work local and does not work at all, it is an indication that the local route is somehow blocked (maybe beyond syncthing).

If the speed is back to the expected value after disabling global discovery, it might be due to a strange route.

Global discovery also publishes local addresses and syncthing will prefer them for connection attempts.

1 Like

Just a note that this applies only to typical IP addresses. Many places (enterprise, government, education, etc.) use their own schemes, which will not be announced to the global discovery.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.