Showing down & upload details

the “downloading device” shows file transfer- and updates… but could syncthing show uploads too? (on the device that’s uploading files) it only shows the progressbar on the right side… :flushed:

Other devices grab blocks, not files. We could show files from which blocks were fetched in the last few moments or something like that. It doesn’t tell you what else that device is doing though, as it may be downloading other blocks / files from someone else.

1 Like
1 Like

I’m not sure if I got what you meant… If dev1 is downloading some stuff from dev2, dev1 shows some filedetails and the downloadqueue - but:

1. does not show from where it is downloading
  2. dev2 doesn’t show anything except a upload rate and a progressbar…

Yeah, but if machine A is downloading parts of a file from machines B and C, and machine D also has that file but machine A isn’t downloading it from D, and machine A downloaded a single block from machine E but hasn’t downloaded anything since then (preferring machines B and C), who shows what?

A:

• downloading fileX from B,C,D
  • downloading block from E

B:

• uploading fileX/block to A

C:

D:

E:

• uploading block to A

So you want to introduce the user to the concept of blocks? That seems like a bad idea.

D and E are both wrong though: A has NEVER downloaded the file from D, and is NOT currently downloading it from E.

no not blocks - but showing the 128 updates are fine I think…

I see sorry…

A:

downloading fileX from B,C (not showing the single block)

B:

uploading fileX/block to A

C:

uploading fileX/block to A

D:

nothing

E:

nothing

But… Should it matter that A decided not to download the file from D and E? The people looking at D and E may think that A isn’t fetching that file, when it fact it is - just from B and C, not D and E.

Do I get it right? Why should people look at D and E for getting some info about what A is fetching? Each device should show the relevant information of this device - means down and uploads and from/where to it is down- and uploading… that’s it :blush:

eg:

A DL B

A DL C

A DL D

B DL D

B UL A

C UL A

D UL A

D UL B

The other thing is, this downloading from A, B, C doesn’t scale once you go past 3-4 nodes per cluster, turning it into a UI disasster.

As calmh suggested the best thing we can do is show info about the last N requests. That doesn’t mean we should make any assumptions about uploads and say ‘Oh node X is downloading file Y’ as this woukd be insonsistent across the cluster, and list it purely as list requests to the curious ones.

1 Like

Our friends from “the other Sync Tool” just shows the Overall Progress (Per Directory) -> Percent, Up/Down Rate at the Main Dashboard and for Users which want to know more, a Detailed list (Just Number of Upload/Downloads per Peer Device + Filename)

The Download List should be easy. (And in the current ST Version we already have an download progress bar per File)

Upload is just “who in the last ~10sec requested a block and/or is currently transfering it” - No Progress Bar for Block Counts or something else

I guess this will be enough for an good overview of whats going on

2 Likes