Send a single file

Send and recieve one time files. Very useful when you want to share a large file with someone, but don’t want to setup folders on both sides.

1 Like

No, this is not what this software is designed for.

It sells itself as continuous bidirectional sync, there are plenty of other applications for general file transfer out there.

there are plenty of other applications

Then please tell us of one (1) single, open source, private, peer to peer & resumable, file transfer application that we can use to send one large (>100mb) file from my phone to another device.

Because I don’t see any and I’ve been looking for 10 years.

“NO, THIS IS NOT WHAT THIS SOFTWARE IS DESIGNED FOR”.

Sorry but, if you’re the only ones with this p2p tech ready, why not make another app that only does file sending then? I will gladly PAY MONEY for a p2p file transfer app. You already have the infrastructure and everyone knows about you. …“don’t you like money?”

Why are you relentlessly gatekeeping features you already have tech for? Why manufacture infinite tension and stress to your giant userbase and waste energy/money on endless threads who ask for things that are “not what this app is for”? Make another app then.

Please. :pray::pleading_face: At this point this just sounds like lovecraftian levels of irrationality. I don’t get it. I just want to p2p send a vacation video to family. :cry: And the only options I see is zuckerberg, bezos, alphabet or tim apple. wtf

1 Like

Isn’t this precisely what BitTorrent was created for, decades ago? At least I download large files, often videos, over BitTorrent now and then.

You can setup a web server on your machine and serve the file to them. Seriously are you expecting your family to setup syncthing on their computer just to download a video file from you?

What you are looking for is to not use any cloud storage service and have them directly fetch the file from your machine.

Setup nginx and serve the file. Send them a link. And they don’t need to download any software.

If they are okay to download software then BitTorrent is better. Set it up, seed it, and send them a .torrent file.

Isn’t this precisely what BitTorrent was created for, decades ago?

Not sure I understand this post. Hu-mans, require something like dropbox. Or like syncthing but with links to send a file one way.

Everybody and their grandma has syncthing on their phones because that’s the only peer to peer backup solution available. (yes I know “SYNCTHING IS NOT FOR BACKUP. SYNC IS NOT BACKUP” - y’know what syncthing is? it’s a p2p TRANSFER PROGRAM)

So Mike, sorry but your argument is illogical: you don’t expect my family to install syncthing to send a file but you expect them to maintain some arcane-ass clunky-ass sysadmin-ass selfhosting server on a raspberry-pi? Hell I’m a dev, I’ve done that in the past a couple times myself (OMV, owncloud etc), and even I stopped doing it.

Anyway, screw you dinosaurs, and your purposeful misconstruing of obvious desperate needs and potential profit for your huge market share.

BECAUSE:

I FOUND EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED RIGHT HERE: GitHub - LeastAuthority/destiny: Destiny – Cross-platform Magic Wormhole graphical client

It came out very recently. The one (1) only thing of its kind. UX is simple. clean. P2P. Watch and learn.

/PEACE :v:

Yeh I misunderstood. I figured you could handle setting up a quick server for your family to download your videos.

I didn’t realize you were trying to go the other way. (Your family to send videos to you)

If so and if you do this frequently it should be super easy for you to create a family videos folder and if they have the ability to setup syncthing for a one time download it should be easy for them to setup a folder share. You guys could reuse it and all share videos with each other.

Anyway no need for snark. Explain yourself better and perhaps get more useful responses. (Edit: I reread your original comment and realized snark is your specialty.)

I’ll check out the link you mention may be interesting for certain other uses.

2 Likes

Well, I think that was the point made from the beginning: this is not what Syncthing is for, and other software solves it better and more elegantly. I’m happy to see your issue is resolved.

2 Likes

Yeah this is not actually that different than BitTorrent.

Anyway no use for me but glad you found it and good luck with it.

I realise this is an old topic, but I just found it when searching for a solution to the question suggested by your title: “Send a single file”. I needed to set up a sync for a Rust project directory, and only sync a small number of files, e.g. only main.rs, and ignore the rest. Use the “Ignore Patterns” tab of the Edit options. For example, to ignore everything, use *, and to make exceptions, i.e. only sync the files Cargo.toml and main.rs, use !:

!/Cargo.toml
!/src/main.rs

Since I found this page yesterday based on its title, I thought it might be useful to post the solution I was looking for, in case anyone else comes here for the same. Reading the OP’s question, however, I can see that a once-off sync was required. I would agree with the other posters who suggested other software would be more appropriate. I would suggest trying either Warpinator or KDE Connect on Linux, or Winpinator on Windows.