Scan progress almost always stuck at 0% (or no percent)

I have always had this issue, but I am just curious whether I should ignore it as “working as intended” or whether something can be done about it.

Basically, when (re)scanning folders, the percentage of completion almost always is either stuck at 0% or with no percent displayed at all. It does not seem to update during the scan, and once finished, it simply jumps straight to “Up to Date”.

My only suspicion is that this may be due to my folders usually having tons of files in them. Still, it would be nice to have some kind of working indicator on how much there is left to scan.

I am using the default scanProgressIntervalS of 0 (i.e. 2 seconds).

The stage without percentages is doing an initial walk over the system to work out how many files are there to be able to provide percentages in the next stage, so if thats slow, there is nothing we can do.

1 Like

Yeah, this seems to be the case then.

Would you recommend disabling scanProgressIntervalS in this situation all together by setting it to -1? Would this have any noticeable effect on the GUI performance, or does it not matter at this stage yet? Although, judging by what you have written, would disabling it actually make Syncthing not walk over the files in order to count them and move to the next stage right away?

The difference is mainly some memory usage. When we need progress updates we’ll walk first and create a list of files to hash, then hash the files while counting up the percentage. Without progress updates the files are hashed during the walk, skipping the intermediate stage of building a list of files. The amount of actual work to do is about the same in both cases.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation. I will likely disable it then, as there is no point if I cannot see any percentage anyway. I believe that the only cases where I have seen the actual numbers was after adding some very large files. Otherwise, is it almost always as it can be seen in the screenshot above, i.e. either 0% or nothing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.