Samsung USB drive keeps getting "out of sync"

I just got a 128GB usb thumbdrive for my laptop. Small transfers over the LAN are fine, but when i did a large 17GB file transfer while i slept, it had issues. I had to rescan the folder and it finished, but now, anytime i do small transfers, synchthing reports out of sync with my drive.

second, i do not know if when the laptop sleeps, its messing up the USB?

the path is still correct, but just goes out of sync.

this drive is meant to stay in the laptop permanently.

synchthing console keeps saying the path can not be found, but yet i can navigate to it via file explorer just fine.

2022/09/01 10:22:02 INFO: Puller (folder “Cloud Drive” (cifws-c5c4x), item “Sketchup projects\Connecting rod\Backup of connecting rod.layout”): syncing: creating parent dir: mkdir \?\E:\Cloud Drive: The system cannot find the path specified.

thanks

This sounds as if the drive had been disconnected. This can happen when Windows enters sleep/hibernation, but it should automatically reconnect when you turn the device back on. Syncthing should also detect that the drive is available again and continue the synchronisation.

Which USB thumb drive have you bought specifically? Assuming it’s the one that was mentioned in the other topic, please make sure it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, and not USB 2.0. Also, if the drive is formatted to (ex)FAT, I’d suggest to re-format it to NTFS before use first. This should at least provide more protection from data corruption if such disconnects happen in the future.

Were there any errors related to USB when the large file transfer failed? If you hadn’t noticed anything on the screen, please check Administrative Events in the Event Viewer whether there’s anything recorded there from that time.

Please also post screenshots from the Syncthing Web GUI with folder info unfolded, so that the path is visible, and also a screenshot from This PC with the problematic drive visible.

1 Like

My laptop does not have 3.0. It is only a year old but one of the last models to not have it by default. It has the 2.0SS ports.

It is currently exFAT filesystem. I can reformat it if needs be. And yes, its the one you linked to on Amazon

As far as event viewer, i can not see any issues with the drive. Is there a specific place you want me to look? i have checked under system as well as “applications and services”.

I think it might be a bad drive. It keeps stopping during syncs now.

You should check Event Viewer → Custom Views → Administrative Events. I’d suggest to reformat to NTFS first, and then maybe just try to copy a large file onto it using the Windows Explorer without Syncthing involved and see what happens. If the same problem occurs, then for confirmation I’d also try doing the same but on a different computer.

1 Like

ok, i checked and all i have is the following:

i am also in the process of doing a LONG format rather than quick on the usb drive. I only have that 2.0 haha.

I will copy a large file, 17GB of stuff once formated without synchthing. I have paused all syncs and exited the synchtrayzor app.

i found ONE tcp/ip address conflict error in event viewer, but that shouldnt disconnect the drive

and a svchost error

looks as if the drive is bad. i couldnt copy anything to it. windows fails to recognize the usb device

Can you post a link to the specific drive that you’ve bought? To be sure that the drive is indeed the culprit, I’d still check it on a different computer first.

1 Like

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG FIT Plus 128GB - 400 MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive (MUF-128AB/AM) : Everything Else

it works in my desktop, but i dont know for how long… I do not know if its my laptop causing the issue or not

This kind of disconnects usually happens when the USB port doesn’t supply enough power to the drive. It’s quite common especially with USB hard drives, and you often need to use a Y-cable to work around it. Obviously, this can’t be done with the thumb drive, as there’s no cable here.

I’d try downloading https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark and testing the drive with it on the desktop. The default is 1GiB, but I’d try with the largest value of 64GiB as follows. Just change the value, choose the proper drive, and then press “All”.

Try to repeat the test several times. You may want to check whether the drive gets physically hot while doing so. If it goes through all the tests without any issues, then I’d say it’s likely the USB 2.0 port on the laptop that can’t supply enough power to the drive. Of course, you can also try to perform the same test on the laptop as well.

Ok, i will test it. I dis double check with hp, and my laptop is 3.0 for usb. Its just the first gen of 3.0 where the port is not blue but labeled SS.

I will test the drive and see what happens. If it passes all the tests, then im guessing its the laptop?

the test doesnt do anything. been sitting at create test file for over 15 minutes now…

The test can take a while, as it needs to write the actual 64GB to the disk. I think you should be able to open the drive in Windows Explorer during the test and see the temporary file being written in real time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.