Safe way to move or rename a subfolder?

I read in the Article 2.2.13 of the FAQ that

The easy way to rename or move a synced folder on the local system is to remove the folder in the Syncthing UI, move it on disk, then re-add it using the new path.

I am not sure if I understand this correctly, thus I decided to ask here. I have one synced folder, which is the default “Sync” folder. I keep all my folders and subfolders under that folder, in one directory tree. When I decide to move or rename a subfolder in that tree, what should I exactly do to not lose any data? Should I remove the whole tree, the default “Sync” folder in the Syncthing UI, then do the move job on the disk, then add the whole tree to Syncthing again?

1 Like

This talks about syncthing folders, not filesystem folders.

Do you mean this answer in the FAQ is about Syncthing’s application folders, not user’s local folders that are synced via Syncthing? If you would like to check it again, here is the link to the mentioned article of the FAQ: https://docs.syncthing.net/users/faq.html#how-do-i-rename-move-a-synced-folder

In that case, what is the answer for user’s local folders which are synced via Syncthing? Is there a proper/suggested way to move/rename a subfolder under a synced tree?

1 Like

My answer stays, FAQ entry is for moving syncthing folders, within a folder rename/copy/move as you see fit.

1 Like

I think I get it now. I thought you meant by the “Syncthing folders” the application directories, which contains binary and configuration files of Syncthing. That seems a misunderstanding, it seems you meant by “Syncthing folders” the root folders that are in sync… It makes sense now.

You said that I can freely move/rename subfolders, that was what I was curious about.

Thank you for your help and many thanks to all Syncthing team & community for their valuable work.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this. I was into this issue and tired to tinker around to check if its possible but couldnt get it done. Now that i have seen the way you did it, thanks guys with regards

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.