Running syncthing in the real cloud, recommendations?

Hi Syncthing forum,

What options do you know of for running syncthing in the “real” cloud, meaning running on virtualized hardware out there that you can’t touch physically? Can you pay for a syncthing based backup service, or do anyone have experience setting up syncthing on a virtualized servers? Maybe even multiple instances that all sync the data to avoid a single point of failure. Data must be backed up and stored encrypted.

In my current setup I synchronize the data between laptops and my own physical server. This setup works great and my server performs daily timestamped backups I can look into if I delete files etc. Now, in the future I may relocate to another country and would like to get rid of this physical dependency, while continuing to use syncthing to synchronize the data and have it safely backed up somewhere. So… thats the background.

Thanks already for a great piece of software, Lars

Just install it on a VPS.

That’s exactly what I’m hinting at. But I don’t have any experience with this though, so any recommendations, experience, pitfalls regarding running syncthing on a vps? Can you have the data stored encrypted?

Take care about “vps”. Syncthing need very much IO and CPU. If you have many files and data, avoid Atom cpu and prefer Intel i3/i5 with real hard disk drive.

Now you can found i3 with 1 or 2To of real hard disk drive for ~15€/month

Linode and DigitalOcean are two of the big providers, although there are numerous others.

I have a syncthing instance on a shared hosting provider (10GB of total space + automatic backups). Depending on what you need you don’t even have to use a vps or a real server :wink:

For encryption you need to do some file based encryption on your device and sync the encrypted files until Support for file encryption (e.g. non-trusted servers) · Issue #109 · syncthing/syncthing · GitHub is implemented.

Slightly off-topic, but here goes. A three-way solution to encrypted cloud storage. Use syncthing to sync aggregate data from several sources to a Raspberry PI (or other 24/7 device). Use borgbackup cron job to backup regularly (your choice of timing) to local borg repository. Use rclone to send encrypted local, deduplicated borg repository to cloud storage. Your choice, doesn’t’ really matter: Mega, Allsync, Dropbox, Gdrive, Onedrive – spread yourself around! Then relax… Lost your laptop, PI, whatever? Recover repo from cloud, mount locally using your passphrase and FUSE, extract needed data… Time for a beer.

1 Like