Remaining time UI

While there’s technically nothing wrong (kind of) with the following screenshot, maybe it’s a good idea to have such periods of time displayed in years instead of days? image

Or, better yet, just put something like “too long to estimate accurately” there.

2 Likes

Once we’ve surpassed the expected lifetime of the solar system I doubt the unit matters much :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Don’t be such a pessimist, syncthing is awesome and will most certainly work and be supported still!

However, limiting estimations to time frame of heat death of the Universe might be actually useful. :wink:

Offtopic: I really love the up-to-hour precision on this one:image

So what’s the cause here? Is Syncthing totally confused or is there something synthetic/failing to cause these numbers?

No, no, it might be a little inaccurate, but not completely out of order. The story of this particular case is the folder has a mounted FUSE filesystem as one of its subdirectories. FUSE stalled (as they commonly do), so scan speed dropped to zero, and Syncthing keeps increasing estimation (although by this point I suppose a simple “scan speed 0 b/s, has been for an hour, do something” would be a better UX solution).

Yeah. Once the scan rate hits some lower boundary it could better just say Unknown (stalled) or something. And perhaps for long times (while still having a nonzero rate) switch to months and then just > 1 year and leave it at that…

2 Likes

Filed as #5627.

1 Like