Reciprical Sharing Between Multiple Machines

I’m going to try and be as succinct as possible, but advanced apologies if this turns hairy.

I have several machines on which I would like to keep a number of folders in sync. For simplicity let’s say one of them is /sync_folder all machines.

When I’m on machine-A, I tell it to share the folder with machine-B, and machine-C. It does this, and the next time on on machine-B or machine-C, I’m asked if I’d like to accept the share. Okay!

What’s unclear to me is whether (when accepting the share on machine-B, say) I have to set it to share that folder with machine-C, and likewise on machine-C to machine-B. In other words, does accepting the share from machine-A automatically mean changes on machines A, B, and C, are always shared between each other, no matter which one made the changes? Or do I have to explicitly set it to share the folder with those other machines when accepting the share.

Phew. Okay that paragraph sucked, but I can’t put it any better :stuck_out_tongue:

You don’t need to connect every device with one another, e.g. it’s perfectly fine to do

A ⟷ B
A ⟷ C

but skip

B ⟷ C

However, this will mean that if A is down, then no changes will be synced between B and C. If you want for the synchronisation to work without A too, then you do need to explicitly share the folder between B and C (unless you use the Introducer feature, which does it automatically).

1 Like

That’s exactly what I needed to know, thank you!

I’ve shared them all manually this time, but will look into the introducer feature.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.