brief thread about real world very simple scenrio and the non-robustness of syncthing, a.k.a. plenty of bugs and weird messages.
Situation: all fresh, never before syncthing usage on both machines. Machine 1: linux, x64, initially syncthing 0.14.49-rc.2 Machine 2: windows, x64, initially syncthing 0.14.48
fresh setup/empty syncthing installation/binary and initial startup of both syncthings. no filters, no ignores, no nothing.
I needed to transport around 180gigabyte from the linux machine to the windows machine.
one share (one directory structure), added on the linux machine, where the 180gig resides. Its all normal readable files, as even these files originally came from a ntfs drive, moved over to the linux’ drive (ext4 or something). so all files, filenames, path structures were originally on windows before, and happily landed on the linux filesystem.
mainly family pictures, videos, some doc files, and such stuff, family archive.
linux machine first scanned and finished scanning of the 180gig structure. only then did i add/handshake the two machines with each other. and only after this step, did i set the share from the linux machine to be shared with the windows machine.
eventually the windows machine displayed the notification inside syncthing gui, that there was a folder to be received.
i set a simple directory as destination on the windows side, namely F:\data\
and it then started to do its initial metadata exchange and these first steps.
i did not mess with special settings as to large blocks or anything complicated, only very basic settings, point to a folder, scan it, share it, ah and yes, the linux machine is set to send-only and the normal random order setting of files. so far so good.
but pretty much immediately, on the windows machine side, i have seen many tens or hundreds of new error lines in the console window of the syncthing.exe, speaking about mkdir errors on \?\F:\data\syncthing\structure\certain\folder\for\Pictures…
and similar to this, random folders that it apparently couldnt always fully create the destination path.
there is absolultely zero reason that the windows machine would be hindered to create these folder structures
the path names are not too long or anything, the F: drive is ntfs, the F: drive is some full rights external usb drive, so nothing special.
i have noticed that syncthing started randomly to write stuff to F:… and those data structures, and only select certain maybe pictures or certain folders of past years or past family events were affected, and select others on the same directory depths werent at all and so forth. Chaotic order of folders were either affected or not.
but not thousands of objects, only a few tens to hundred.
It looked to me as if syncthing was maybe racing against itself or some algorithm of the metadata exchange or the order of the events when files need to be created and first their cotaining folders to be created or something every now and then failed…
this is very unfortunate I think and this doesnt shed very nice light on the robustness and dependability of syncthing. These are elemental and essential things that fail, and I cant come up with a reason for them to fail.
While syncthing worked, i browsed into those failing folders (or their parent folders), and other folders in there (except the failing one) were already created and select files, for example family pictures, camera pix etc were already put in there and number of data and objects was growing.
Eventually after some minutes I restarted the windows syncthing, and later I restarted the linux syncthing and eventually I also applied the windows syncthing to the same 0.14.49-rc.2 yesterday still, and they were both on the same version.
some hours later they updated themselves to -rc.3 even.
Summary: a clean situation with two syncthings and a lot of objects/folders, trouble the end user with funny or invalid error messages or failing situations
Eventually after some restarts of the syncthing, they apparently managed to create those folder names and structures, they first complained about, because those folders are now there and the data is still incoming and being transfered.
please guys, do look into real world scenario with lot of data, lot of folders and clean state starting fresh into syncthing experience. it is pittysome that a fresh syncthing scenario is causing these kind of severe error messages for the end user.
and yes, the syncthing gui did show lot of red and failed messages too on the status of the share, it wasnt only the console window that displayed the error situation.