Question about copiers.

Would the increase in the number of copiers be a suitable reaction to the following problem?

Last week our 200+GB synced folder stopped its work and while Network IO was low, the system itself had a high CPU load. This caused a lot of confusion and I spent a day investigating it.

What I suspect: a user moved a directory containing around 20000 small files into another place which caused the block-tracker to be so overwhelmed by requests that it stopped the regular sync while it sorted out the change.

While I recreated the directory from the most intact copy whilst throwing out the problematic folder I would have liked to understand how I could avoid such problems in the future. So: was the amount of copiers the problem and would it be okay to put 4 copiers to work under such circumstances?

A related topic which I didn’t want to resurrect:

I doubt the number of copiers would have much impact. I also doubt the root cause of the issue. We fixed a couple of things in the last releases, mostly around big files, but could still be related. Moving a directory with 20k files in it shouldn’t take that long or overwhelm it, I’d be surprised if it took more than a minute or so. Assuming we’re not talking about a phone or something.

Thanks. I guess the index was broken somehow, then.

If we ran into the same issue I’ll try to get some logs.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.