puller: final: rename The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Currently on all devices when checking the WebGUI it displays all devices that share this folder as “Syncing 100%” but each one displays the following error:

11:22:47: puller: final: rename C:\XXX\Sync\XXX Documents\Master Uplifts\Cashflow and projections\Year End June 2015\Management Accounts for the Year Ended June 2015.xlsx C:\XXX\Sync.stversions\XXX Documents\Master Uplifts\Cashflow and projections\Year End June 2015\Management Accounts for the Year Ended June 2015~20141208-112247.xlsx: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

11:22:48: puller: final: rename C:\XXX\Sync\XXX Documents\Master Uplifts\Cashflow and projections\Year End June 2015\Management Accounts for the Year Ended June 2015.xlsx C:\XXX\Sync.stversions\XXXX Documents\Master Uplifts\Cashflow and projections\Year End June 2015\Management Accounts for the Year Ended June 2015~20141208-112248.xlsx: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

11:22:48: puller: final: rename C:\XXX\Sync\XXX Documents\Master Uplifts\Cashflow and projections\Year End June 2015\Management Accounts for the Year Ended June 2015.xlsx C:\XXX\Sync.stversions\XXX Documents\Master Uplifts\Cashflow and projections\Year End June 2015\Management Accounts for the Year Ended June 2015~20141208-112248.xlsx: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

11:22:48: puller: final: rename C:\XXX\Sync\XXX Documents\Master Uplifts\Cashflow and projections\Year End June 2015\Management Accounts for the Year Ended June 2015.xlsx C:\XXX\Sync.stversions\XXX Documents\Master Uplifts\Cashflow and projections\Year End June 2015\Management Accounts for the Year Ended June 2015~20141208-112248.xlsx: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

11:22:48: Folder “default” isn’t making progress - check logs for possible root cause. Pausing puller for 1m0s.

Now the issue here is the message suggests that the file is being used by another process, how can this be the case? Especially for my laptop which I’ve just turned on and has only just received this file.

Any idea on what caused this? I can of course delete the file but that wouldn’t resolve what caused this to begin with.

Cheers

I guess this should fix itself after a few minutes, but the fact that it did happen is interesting. Can you raise an issue on github with the log? As it seems that it might be syncthing stepping on his own toes due to versioning. Please also post your versioner settings.

Hi @AudriusButkevicius and thanks for your quick response. I’m going to open an issues shortly but I’ve just noticed some more odd behaviour.

I’ve just had a user open an Excel Spreadsheet from this folder, they then went to File -> Save As and tried saving it over the version he had open and was displayed this error:

Office 2013 then saved a temoprary file in this folder which is identical to this one except the filename is a temporary name as you’d see in the temp directory “44F49810”. Now when we tried deleting this file it had made we were presented with the following error:

I’ve now got these files on my laptop as well and I’m also unable to remove them and presented with the same error.

Ok I think I know what’s happening. It’s the new file descriptor cache messing things up, not closing files, and then preventing them from being archived and so on.

I suggest you rollback to the previous version for the time being.

That probably also explains this file that has appeared in that directory ~syncthing~.Business Placement - Tracker (Poole) 2014-15 final.xlsx.tmp

This is also creating issues when trying to delete old versions of Syncthing from the Syncthing directory (the file is locked by Syncthing).

If I change

<autoUpgradeIntervalH>12</autoUpgradeIntervalH>

to

<autoUpgradeIntervalH>0</autoUpgradeIntervalH>

on all 15 or so devices will this prevent auto updates?

Yes, subject people don’t press the upgrade button. Or give @calmh some time to re-release, as I feel this is big enough problem that we should re-release.

Most of these users aren’t computer literate so this will not be an issue. I’m just wary on how long this will take because it might be worth me letting this run through until a re-release and then turning auto upgrades off on all clients until I’ve tested each version until Syncthing is v1 at least.

v1 doesn’t mean it will not have developer error, especially when I am on board :wink:

It’s your call how to deal with this, I’ve pinged @calmh so it’s all down to him when he will find some time.

1 Like

Fixed in v0.10.11, just released.

1 Like