Publish snap packags in the Ubuntu store

That sounds neat, but unfortunately I cannot. Perhaps someone else would like to speak on our behalf. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What does this involve? What time does it happen and how long does it take?

Also, as everyone is probably already aware I am not the most people loving person around.

3 Likes

Hello,

I was on vacations yesterday and in the meantime my team mates found another project to test this Friday. We can do it with syncthing next week, or any other week that is good for you. But I really hope we do it some day soon.

@AudriusButkevicius you are welcome to join us. We don’t need people who love humanity and spread their love everywhere. But we do need people who will welcome new contributors, and guide them nicely and patiently even if they start totally lost and asking the wrong questions. Also, infinite patience is not required, I know that sometimes the battle is lost from the start :slight_smile:

Feel free to pick any day and time that works for you. It would be great to have both, but if only one can make it that’s good too. We have one more session on December, and then we start again in January.

We usually spend one hour in the hangout. The first part is you showing your project and telling people how to contribute. The second part is us showing some tools to test it.

pura vida.

1 Like

So is this a pre-recorded thing (given the “pick any day and time” bit) or a live thing every friday?

Yes, I value new contributors more than anything else.

1 Like

It is live every Friday, but the hour is always different depending on what’s best for the guest. How does January 7th sound to you?

@calmh I think you might like this: https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/2442 The classic confinement is a new thing that will support dev tools that need permission to go out of their confinement to do any useful work. For example, emacs that needs to be able to edit config files. I’m not sure if classic confinement is a good thing for syncthing, but it’s an option and it solves the HOME weirdness we have in the UI.

2 Likes

@calmh using symlinks otherwise is an option, but… In case you want syncthing to behave the same way it would when not snapped, you probably want this.

Let me know if a PR for that is appreciated or you prefer continue the way it is now.

Hm? I’m missing the context, even after scrollback.

@calmh check @elopio’s comment, where he talks about the classic snap confinment (read more).

By having that snapped syncthing would act exactly like the one you already ship in .deb packages, being able to access your $HOME and hidden files (and normal ~/.config). So this would allow anyone to use the snap without any effort in migrating settings or synced folders.

Maybe you might also create two kind of snaps for syncthing one with classic interface, the other confined for people that is more concerned about security.

But IMHO by default the snap for a such tool should be able to sync any file in the system.

Is “classic” supported by the things that consume snaps now?

Yeah, snapd 2.20 includes it, and it’s available in all the releases that ships it (including Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

You can check it here

2 Likes

I’ve just started the call for testing with the Ubuntu community:

My offer to show syncthing in one of our Friday’s testing days still stands :smiley:

I received very good comments about syncthing in the forum and in the Ubuntu community :slight_smile:

@calmh @AudriusButkevicius: would you like to write a post for https://insights.ubuntu.com/ ? It has a huge amount of traffic, so it’s a very good way to get more people to know and use syncthing.

1 Like

Sure, I can put something together. Are you thinking mostly about the snapifying experience or something more general?

1 Like

Well, both I think. Like explain what’s syncthing, why is it better than cloud sync. And how is it useful for you to be in the official store without going through the debian and ubuntu archives, and to be able to release on your own timeline that doesn’t adjust to the 6 months cycle.

But that’s what I find relevant. It’s your post, whatever you find relevant it’s going to be interesting.

3 Likes

@calmh I sent you an email earlier in the month to talk about the post. I’m not sure if I got the wrong email address, or if you haven’t had a chance to read it.

If you didn’t receive it, please send me an email to leo.arias@canonical.com to get your right address.

pura vida.

Yes, got it. Started working on it, but got sidetracked. Still have it somewhere in mind. :slight_smile:

1 Like

found this thread as i finally identified snap install as cause for my problems. Seems this needs som work…

For reference: Add folder on Ubuntu 16.04 - get : folder path missing

Thx.

Snaps are a specific thing, and do things differently than some other package managers. That includes sandboxing and different paths for configuration, etc. This is per (snap) design, I think we’ve done what is appropriate in following it. (Snap specific documentation would be fine of course, someone just has has to write it then.)

I am not sure whether it’s only me, but my snap package is still Version 1.0.0. I’m super excited about the new updates :smiley_cat: Thanks!!

Shows 1.1.4 as expected.

1 Like