Potentially Corrupting Exfat Filesystem?

I encountered an issue with my external SD-card’s filesystem being somewhat corrupted and I’m wondering if syncthing could be the culprit.

Not sure wat kind of information would be useful to determine this, but I have opened an issue on the syncthing-android fork that I’ve been using (idk what is better or worse, I just happened to get this one) and they say it’s not a problem with their app, but with the underlying syncthing usage.

A summary: My phone had issues with the external SD card three or four times now. It was working until a reboot, at which point I think it performs an fsck and notices that something is wrong. Manually mounting it r/w still works, it’s just lineageOS that does not want to automatically mount it.

Anyway, the latest time I came upon this issue, fsck.exfat was not able to fix all the issues. I had to use chkdsk on windows to fix it, and that reported more corruptions. But all of them inside folders that I am syncing with syncthing.

My external SD card is Exfat, and I sync to a windows NTFS computer and a synology NAS with whatever they use (probably ext-4 or such).

Is it possible that syncthing breaks my filesystem? (For the specific errors, please see the link above to the issue.)

Thank you for any insights!
Lucid

1 Like

In principle, no, as filesystems and storage devices are the operating system’s responsibility. No app should ever be able to corrupt a filesystem by using the fileystem APIs.

2 Likes

If it’s the same card that got corrupted, it’s most likely the card that is to blame. SD cards don’t last forever, some are knock-offs of reputable brands that perform poorly and don’t last long.

1 Like

I think the first time it got corrupted was a different one, but sure the SD card itself could also be to blame. It’s just curious then that the broken entries were only in syncthing-synced folders.

I’m aware that “in principle”, apps can not corrupt the filesystem but many things don’t work in principle but are still possible. I figure syncthing is not doing weird low-level hacks though, if that’s the response I’m getting.

If you have any idea how I could be certain what the culprit is (despite me not knowing how to reliably reproduce breaking my FS), let me know :slight_smile:

and otherwise, I guess “pretty sure it’s not due to syncthing” is probably the best I could hope for, so thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.