Port forwarding question and change in the UI

First I want to thank jakob to validate my account to access this forum. So first, it seems that your forum have some problems to send activation mail. I’ve tested 2 times with 2 differents login/ addresses and I’ve got none mails(no in spam, no in alias, nothing anywhere). I’m speaking about manual accounts creation. So I don’t know what’s going on but it has been a nightmare to subscribe to this forum.

Anyway, I’ve got some questions about port forwarding and configuring the UI. first try about configuring the UI: in the UI to "Adresses d’écoute du protocole de synchronisation " you’ve put: default and also to "Serveurs de découverte globale"
I’ve wondering how to change that because if I just put another port number there, I would get in the cmd window : [G6KPP] 18:16:54 INFO: Listener for 44005: unknown address scheme “” [G6KPP] 18:16:54 INFO: Disconnected from relay relay://195.154.97.57:22067 [G6KPP] 18:16:54 INFO: TCP listener ([::]:22000) shutting down

which seems clearly an error for me … if I try [::]:44005 I get : [G6KPP] 18:18:06 INFO: Listener for [::]:44005: unknown address scheme "" so what to put here if I want to change the port number?

Second question: I’ve using a docker container for syncthing on my docker server: But Of course 22000 wasn’t in my plan to open. So I open the container with docker run -d --restart=always (some other options) -p 45120:22000 -p 45121:21025/udp -p 45122:8080 --name syncthing joeybaker/syncthing

but it seems that it still needs to relay, does the port forwarding works? or we need to have the same port inside and outside?

And third question: if I understand correctly, we only need to forward port 22000 correct?

Read the docs regarding listen addresses. Yes, port needs to be the same inside and outside or you need to have UPnP/NATPMP support.

1 Like

Just to this point, there have been twelve new user accounts created and activated the last two days. Test mails to security@ arrive just fine. All in all, I think you should check your own systems and maybe take a softer approach (your tone on github especially is quite grating). Thanks.

okey so did you receive my mail then on security@ ? you should have recieve at least one mail from me. and if the system is not at fault then I’m sure you can watch the logs and see the activation mail for my 2 attempts of subscription… so what happen? And I don’t see how my system could be failing since it is 2 different addresses from microsoft, which doesn’t clearly involve my system is it?

No, I didn’t. But I did receive my test mails. Apparently hotmail is blocking mails from our hosting provider, which is unfortunate but really out of my control:

Oct 24 17:49:54 forum postfix/smtp[16590]: 6F1B51416F9: to=<...@hotmail.com>, relay=mx2.hotmail.com[65.55.92.184]:25, delay=0.53, delays=0.02/0.01/0.39/0.11, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host mx2.hotmail.com[65.55.92.184] said: 550 SC-001 (SNT004-MC4F13) Unfortunately, messages from 198.211.127.129 weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. (in reply to MAIL FROM command))

great so the answer was more :

In addition, one or more address child elements must be present. Each contains an address or host name to use when attempting to connect to this device and will be tried in order. Entries other than dynamic must be prefixed with tcp:// (dual-stack), tcp4:// (IPv4 only) or tcp6:// (IPv6 only). Note that IP addresses need not use tcp4/tcp6; these are optional. Accepted formats are: IPv4 address (tcp://192.0.2.42)The default port (22000) is used.IPv4 address and port (tcp://192.0.2.42:12345)The address and port is used as given.

from configuration for those who could have the same issue wandering around.

at least we have an understanding! could you please provide your domain or the part of your network that have been blocked? Like that I could tell them… And maybe a note on your website in your contact page could be great? or maybe a not on the header of the forum? At least like that people won’t be left aside?

It appears to be disliking the forum IP address,

okey thanks I will transmit the information then.

@calmh do we have SPF/DMARC records and DomainKeys and all other madness setup?

No. I don’t want to manage mail crap, hence the web based forum, but you can never get away fully can you… Feel free to investigate what we need to do. The error message above talks about black listed netblocks though, so I suspect bad neighbors at DO.

Probably simpler to use some sort of outgoing mail service if we want to go there, like Mailgun or so.

Agree, we should use that, they will tell you what DNS records to add where.

by the way, if I may, where did you get the syntax tcp://…:… ? where did you get the inspiration to do like that? a precise application layer that needs to be configured like that or something else?

It’s called URIs… We plan to have other means of transport, apart from TCP, so having URIs made perfect sense.

1 Like

I’ve already said, don’t be a shmuck all the time ^^ I did made the link to URLs when I saw your config file docs, but I meant some sort of intellectual link like syntax from iptables or fail2ban or anything else. but apprently not, thanks for answer.

Well you didn’t explicitly call them URIs, you called syntax hence I though you are not faimilliar, so I was just pointing out what they are called.

Many things use them, such as SQL connectors (postgres://, mysql:// etc), some services I’ve used, yet some call them DSNs for some reason.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.