Poll: Do you use the "introducer" feature?

Do you?

• Yes
  • No, never
  • Tried it, didn’t like it
  • Never heard of it

0 voters

1 Like

Voted “yes” because I have tried it, but don’t have a use case yet. I will do soon, though.

1 Like

I voted “didn’t like”.

OK, I admit I am a control freak and introducer seemed to connect devices automatically. It takes longer (a LOT longer) to do it manually, but I prefer to feel in control of the process.

1 Like

Big “Yes” here, I could not imagine to add all the devices manually when starting sharing pictures with friends… adding just one friend is enough, the rest off the mesh is conveniently added automatic…

2 Likes

No vote because I haven’t started active use of Syncthing yet.

Introducer has been something that I didn’t quite understand what it did. The “[local device] should copy [selected peer’s] list of devices per folder when connecting” in the docs helped, but it was pretty buried.

I had been planning to read about it more at some point, and see if re-working any docs improved the understandability for people. (or if it’s just me not groking fast enough)

2 Likes

Voted yes - Every time I have a new device I want to add to my cluster I always make the same node the introducer. Works perfectly.

1 Like

Voted no because I don’t want devices that will never see each other introduced. (And it was not there when I set up most of my devices, some devices are still from the time 0.8.x was the newest :laughing:)

1 Like

Voted “No, never”, as I first became aware of the feature after setting up my devices.

I only have three devices (central home server, home laptop and work laptop), where only the server see the two other devices. Will expand both number of devices and usage, including “introducer”, when iOS can join the swarm.

1 Like

The only oddity I’ve found with the introducer is when I deleted a device from each of my other ST notes it kept re-appearing because all my devices were introducers to one another.

Turning off introducer on them all then removing one by one solved it but it might be nice if deleting a device could optionally propagate to other devices this one is an introducer for.

1 Like

I use it, but it is still a bit black magic for me.

1 Like

I have to say I’m surprised about the 50% yes rate currently. I thought this was a much more niche feature than it seems to be.

1 Like

its a feature for the lazy ones :smile: (and it raises the usability)

1 Like

black magic

I don’t use it for this reason, and because I only have a handful of nodes. If I had many nodes I would be forced to use it.

2 Likes

no kidding, 80+ nodes and connect each other manually?

this feature is a MUST! XDD

and you get to choose introduce or not, very personal indeed.

1 Like

Well, I need to correct myself. Never tried just until now and like it :wink:

1 Like

I found this to be quite an annoyance as well. The workaround would be to just have one introducer (per cluster)…

I keep it off now, and whenever I add a new device, I turn it on (on every device) just as long as it needs.

1 Like

Used this since last year, it was a must with a 15+ cluster. Shame it didn’t remove nodes from other devices as well.

1 Like

Are there any instructions for use?

Just enable the flag on a device node.