Permissions problem in Raspberry Pi

Hello, I’m trying to switch from BTSync to syncthing, but I’m stuck at the following point. I’ve installed syncthing on my laptop running Linux Mint and on my Raspberry Pi running Raspbian. On the laptop I’ve selected the folder to be shared (it contains files), and correctly added to the Rpi’s syncthing, where I’ve selected an empty folder. syncthing then tries to sync the folder, but nothing happens and the following error shows up:

Stopping folder “STCloud” - open /mnt/usb16/STCloud/.stfolder: permission denied

I’ve also tried to create the .stfolder but it only causes to change the error to:

Folder “STCloud” isn’t making progress - check logs for possible root cause. Pausing puller for 1m0s.

The folder is placed on a usb pendrive, mounted at /mnt/usb16 as you probably already guessed.

Any suggestions to solve this? Thanks a lot.

owner of the directory “STCloud” is probably not the user that runs syncthing?

1 Like

I guess this could be it, considering that the pendrive is mounted on /mnt/ I guess it’s owned by root. How can I change this ownership to the syncthing user?

(or maybe it would be easier to mount the pendrive inside the home?)

EDIT: that was it. I changed ownership of /mnt/usb16/STCloud to pi:pi and now it syncs. Thank you very much!!

nice that this worked. I think I did the same because the mountpoint is owned by root and the folder inside by pi, but I don’t remember it any more :smiley:

Yeah, that’s why I usually write all that I do to make something work, so that I can go back and check if I need to reinstall something (or install it on a different machine). :smile: This definitely goes in my instructions directory :slight_smile:

Thanks again