Permissions error on Synology

I am getting a permissions error from Syncthing that I cannot seem to correct. Here is the error:

2019-09-30 22:58:02 Error while trying to start filesystem watcher for folder "TV on Synology" (d***-**9), trying again in 1min: error while traversing /volume1/Media/TV/Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: permission denied

Permissions on the Dirk Gently directory:

tom@Beeblebrox:/volume1/Media/TV/Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency$ ls -la
total 8
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 tom sc-syncthing   56 Sep 30 23:10 .
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 tom users        4024 Sep 30 22:58 ..
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 tom sc-syncthing 2540 Sep 24 14:29 Season 01
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 tom sc-syncthing 3738 Sep 24 14:36 Season 02
-rwxrwxrwx+ 1 tom syncthing    5011 Sep 21 19:32 tvshow.nfo

I would think with 777 perms on the directory any user could traverse thru, and Syncthing does just fine with any of the ~100 other directories with the same permissions. I’m obviously missing something but I’m fairly new to Synology and Syncthing, so if someone could give me a nudge in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

The + in ls output means there are ACLs applied. These override normal permissions. Might have been set via CIFS or something like that, or by the NAS itself for some reason.

2 Likes

I got the same problem,If anyone can fix it, I would appreciate it too, THX!

You should read up on how to manage ACLs on your device and fix it yourself, nobody else can fix it for you

Thanks for the tip. I am not certain what the “+” is and how it applies to the files/directories, but at least now I know I’m on the right track. I appreciate the nudge.

1 Like

It looks like dirs/files I’ve copied from a USB drive to the NAS carried the ACLs with them. Changing the permissions on the NAS did nothing, following Synology’s instructions on how to manage ACL’s - while interesting - did not solve it either. I had backups of all of the files on a different USB drive, so I mounted that one, copied to directories back to the NAS, and so far it’s working.

I don’t quite understand how ACL’s work with unix-type permissions, I’ll have to figure out what is happening as I go on here.

If nothing else, setfacl -bn seems to be the magic incantation to drop the ACLs and get back to regular dumb permissions.

2 Likes

That’s a dandy tip, thank you.

1 Like

One last update: Synology’s version of setfacl is “synoacltool”, so I went scouting for some info on how to remove the ACL with that. I came across a post that said if you just use chmod it removes the ACl’s. I tried it: chmod -R a+rwX got rid of the ACL’s. At least now Syncthing isn’t barking at me, and I’l have some time to figure out ACL’s and if I really need them.

Thanks for the replies, they were much appreciated.

1 Like

Wow, this is better Syno support than I can get from Synology!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.