Filesystem Watcher Errors on Synology Subfolder

Hello:

Apologies if this is more of an OS question rather than a Syncthing question, but I’m seeing an error on a couple of my Syncthing installations on Synology NAS:

“Filesystem Watcher Errors … error while traversing /volume1/FolderName/SubfolderName: permission denied”

Looking at ACLs for the folders in question:

• FolderName: has an explicit R&W ACL for the sc-syncthing group (as Syncthing runs under on the Synology);
  • SubfolderName: has an inherited R&W ACL for the sc-syncthing group.

I note the POSIX owner:group for this subfolder (sc-syncthing:syncthing) is different for some neighbouring subfolders (100:users) - but there are other neighbouring subfolders which have the same owner:group as the problematic one, and aren’t reporting any problem.

I’ve already increased the inotify limit - so I don’t think that’s the problem - but I can’t find which logging option would show more information about the error (e.g. is there a subfolder inside this subfolder which has spurious permissions?).

I’d rather not just do a blanket chown/chmod across the whole folder (which is rather large), as I presume this will prompt a resync across all my connected devices.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Listing a directory requires execute permission rather than read and write.

Hi Audrius:

Thanks for the input. Good thought - but unfortunately I don’t think that’s what’s happening here.

Here’s Synology’s Permissions Inspector for the subfolder I’m having the problem with:

And here’s the same thing, for a neighbouring folder which I’m not having a problem with:

:thinking:

Anyways, it’s clearly a permissions issue as stated by the error message.

I guess synology forum is more appropriate for support with their permissions model.

You can try disabling acl’s and move to a more simple permission model.

Thanks Audrius - I appreciate the attempt to help resolve this.

Do you know if there’s a way to find the exact file/folder that’s prompting the error?

I’ve looked at each of the children of Subfolder, and they all appear to have no permissions restrictions for the sc-syncthing user.

Unfortunately this is how the Synology software sets up shared folders - and I’m loathed to (potentially) break things too much…

The error occurred on the path reported: /volume1/FolderName/SubfolderName. I believe getfacl -e *path* returns all unix and acl permissions.

Hi Simon:

Thanks for chipping in. It looks like getfacl isn’t included on Synology - but they have a synoacltool instead.

Here’s the output from the ‘broken’ folder:

# synoacltool -get /volume1/FolderName/SubfolderName/
ACL version: 1 
Archive: is_inherit,is_support_ACL 
Owner: [sc-syncthing(user)] 
--------------------- 
	 [0] user:adam:deny:rwxpdDaARWcCo:fd--  (level:1)
	 [1] group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:1)
	 [2] group:workshop:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:1)
	 [3] group:office:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:1)
	 [4] group:sc-syncthing:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:1)
	 [5] group:machines:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:1)

And the output from a neighbouring working folder:

# synoacltool -get /volume1/FolderName/Subfolder2Name/
ACL version: 1 
Archive: is_inherit,is_support_ACL 
Owner: (user) not found 
--------------------- 
	 [0] user:adam:deny:rwxpdDaARWcCo:fd--  (level:1)
	 [1] group:administrators:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:1)
	 [2] group:workshop:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:1)
	 [3] group:office:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:1)
	 [4] group:sc-syncthing:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:1)
	 [5] group:machines:allow:rwxpdDaARWc--:fd--  (level:1)

The only difference I can see is the owner of the ‘broken’ subfolder is the sc-syncthing user - but, as I say, there are other neighbouring folders which have the same owner, and they’re not reporting a problem…

Yeah, no clue what might be going on. However you aren’t alone, Synology problems come up all the time. Here Jakob suggested a sledge-hammer approach (remove acls) which apparently worked: Permissions error on Synology

Thanks Simon - I appreciate your time and efforts! I’m reassured to see it’s obviously not me just being stupid…

Hello:

Could I ask for a word of advice if you please:

I’m looking to fix this permissions error - but I’m wary of causing problems by performing this operation on a large folder on a slow device:

• Will modifying the permissions on a folder prompt Syncthing to re-sync all the files inside it? I have Ignore Permissions set - but will the modification make Syncthing consider it has newer files now available? (I appreciate none of the blocks will have changed - but I presume there would be a massive index update)
  • If it will prompt a re-sync, how best should I do this, considering the files might be being actively modified on another device in the cluster, whilst this (slow) device rescans the folder?

Sage words appreciated - thanks!

It might resync the metadata (permissions, times etc), but it won’t resync data if that has not changed.

Using chmod does not update the mod time - and that’s what Syncthing cares about. Now if you use some syno-tool to do ACL stuff, all bets are off whether mod time gets bumped (I’d expect not, but it’s syno). I’d try it with a single file and check whether the mod time changes. If it doesn’t, go ahead doing it on everything.

Unless ignore permissions is set we do sync permissions as well, and rehash on change I think.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.