Path to logfiles? (on a Synology DiskStation)

Hi all,

I’d like to know, where I can find those useful logfiles, which would tell me all the things I cannot see within the WebGui.

I installed Syncthing via PackageCenter and updated it a few times with only replacing the binary and it works flawlessly (beside folder configuration issues, which I’d like to check in the logs).

I’ve checked the package-path: /volume1/@appstore/syncthing/ but no luck. Some other paths like /var/ … but also no luck.

I’ve read here, but thats seems a bit too overloading for me, just to have a look at the logs.

Is there no easy way to activate the logs? and/or maybe define a path for it? Maybe I just need to check other paths, but I’m not a *nix geek and have forgotten all about the different paths a logfile could hide…

Any help/idea ?

It logs to stdout, so check where the package maintainer redirects logs.

does it mean that it can be read by dmesg command by default?

As I said, check with how the package maintainer implements it. By default it logs to the console running the process, which is more or less usually thrown away.

Thanks. I seen that first time run it in console it was logging something to console. Then I demonize it and made autorun. So, I found that dmesg give me something like this:

[ 8728.092718] [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlan0 OUT= MAC=22:33:44:55:66:77:88:ee:ff:ee:aa:bb:cc:dd SRC=fe80:0000:0000:0000:1234:5678:90ab:cdef DST=1234:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:5678 LEN=104 TC=0 HOPLIMIT=1 FLOWLBL=0 PROTO=UDP SPT=21026 DPT=21026 LEN=64

I guess it is syncthing. But unfortunately I can’t get any useful info from it. I guess it’s just a log about some parts of syncronized parts.

For example, I need to understand, why some of my folders can’t be syncronized on few devices. Could you advise, How can I get info from this log?

The logs are wherever your daemonization thing puts them, then. :wink:

This is a discovery packet blocked by the firewall, logged by the firewall.

Thanks again for your response!

Ok, I used this method to run it automatically. I have following text in my /etc/init/syncthing.conf:

description “Syncthing P2P sync service”

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo) stop on runlevel [!2345]

env STNORESTART=yes

env HOME=/home/username

setuid “user”

setgid “user”

exec /usr/local/bin/syncthing

respawn

This mean daemonization, don’t it? If so (or not), where can I find a log? What is stdout for it?

I used this to set-up my local firewall. UPnP is on (at least on phone and router, I have no idea how to check it on linux dekctop). But due to 21026 port in my log - firewall still blocking Syncthing, isn’t it? If so, waht additional settings need for setting up?

Anyway, Syncthing is running on both machines, destination machine has info about what should be syncronized, but no progress: Syncing (0%) for last hour. Why may it happened?

Yes, see Starting Syncthing Automatically — Syncthing documentation

Add 21026 UDP, that’s for discovery packages for IPv6.

This requires you to read the log. It’ll probably contain the relevant information. Note that you can also run syncthing without the daemon (./syncthing), then the output will be shown in your terminal.