Ouch... Syncthing deleted the files I was working on

Just a word of warning… I would recommend ALWAYS using at least “Trash Can File Versioning”… I had “No File Versioning Set”…

Here’s the excerpt from my ~/.zsh_history

: 1641784684:0;mv chadrc.lua CHADRC.lua
: 1641784689:0;mv init.lua INIT.lua

You can see, I just renamed two files from lowercase to uppercase so that they would be bypassed while I was troubleshooting a config issue. A few seconds later, the renamed files were gone. I do have Syncthing running on this directory, so a minute later I checked…

Sure enough:

Syncthing was responsible for the deletion.

• ri9: Syncthing v1.18.2 on Ubuntu 21.10
  • rynote: Syncthing v1.18.2 on Android

In my case, I had File Versioning set to No File Versioning. I wasn’t able to recover the missing file from .stfolder or .stversions.

People get very defensive about this stuff.

My point is not to trash on Syncthing. It’s an awesome piece of software. I use it every day and will continue to. What I will change is, I never again use No File Versioning unless I have an extremely good reason…

I’ve moved all of my synced folders to use some form of File Versioning.

I’m kind of surprised to see that all of my folders had No Versioning setup. Was that the default?

You may want to keep an eye on https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/issues/7974. I’d say it’s likely Android that is the culprit here.

There is no File Versioning set by default. There has been quite a few discussions on why and why not versioning should be enabled by default, so you may want to search the forum if you’re interested in the topic.

One simple argument against it can be that when dealing with very large files, even a small modification will make Syncthing send a copy to the versions folder. If you deal with many such files at the same time, it can easily eat all available disk space very quickly. New users will likely not be aware that versioning is enabled and then they will wonder where their disc space has gone.

1 Like

You’re right.

That makes sense. No way to know from the outset if people are syncing giant media archives or tiny notes files by default… Especially for people that are editing large media files, like for video production, versions could pretty quickly blow them up.

Looks like you are correct. That is exactly what I’m seeing.

Sorry to vent, but Android is soooooo frustrating these days. Besides adding dark mode, I think everything they’ve done to Android in the last 3 years just makes it worse and worse. Negative value-add… My “File Manager” is no longer permitted to WRITE to my Download folder. My Audio Book player can no longer read downloaded media files. Termux on the App Store can’t even be updated. Syncthing and Markor can’t easily share data… It’s all so tedious.

I understand that for the mass market moron you can probably never have enough sandboxes to protect them from being who they are… But it’s so irritating to see this mindset spreading. Even Wayland has a ton of assumptions that prevent you from using your hardware the way YOU want to… For example, try and get wmctrl or tdrop working on Wayland.

Security is one thing, but there always needs to be a I'm an adult and I don't need a nanny or and don't bubble wrap me button…

I would sooner have no mobile device than spend my life trying to jailbreak Apple’s PRISON OS.

Oh, nothing to be sorry for, you’re preaching to the choir here :slight_smile:
And thanks for the reminder of this issue. Now that I bumped the target SDK, which might change the behaviour entirely again, I really want to investigate that issue. It’s a too serious issue to ignore it just because android is annoying.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.