Operation not permitted when i use 'copy ownership from parent'

Hello,

So i’ve got two CentOS servers syncing the /home directory for both servers. I created a new user called ‘syncthinguser’ and i run it using that user. I’ve used ACLs sosyncthinguser has read and write access to everything in /home.

When Master syncs to Slave, it’s fine because i don’t have ‘Copy ownership from parent’ checked as it’s not needed however, any files synced from slave to master need to inherit the parent folder group:owner.

So i’ve got everything configured, the only problem is i get an operation not permitted.

Log: 2019-11-07 16:38:49 Puller (folder “Master Home Folder” (default), item “website/public_html/wp-content/themes/twentynineteen/header.php”): copy owner from parent: lchown /home/website/public_html/wp-content/themes/twentynineteen/.syncthing.header.php.tmp: operation not permitted

What i’ve tried:

I set ACLs read and write for /home directory & /usr/bin/syncthing (binary) for user syncthinguser.

I also set the cap for the binary (/usr/bin/syncthing) by using this command: setcap ‘CAP_CHOWN,cap_fowner=+ep’ syncthing

And i confirmed the CAP has been set using getcap.

I could run the process as ROOT but i prefer to reduce the exposure as much as possible by doing it through a user with the extra capability.

Thanks!

Sounds right to me, but I’m not a Linux capabilities expert. CentOS has a history of funky systemd bugs plus SELinux and things like that, maybe something else is intervening or dropping the capabilities.

I gave the user sudo access, is there a way to force the lchown command ran by Syncthing to use sudo?

Sudo has nothing todo with this. Syncthing does not shell out to chown to do it’s work.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.