open source funding for syncthing by Sentry

Hi @maintainers,

I got an e-mail from someone at thanks.dev, offering funding for our work on Syncthing. It was addressed to @calmh, @AudriusButkevicius and me. What shall we do with it?

I certainly don’t feel like being one of the top three, at least not more important than @imsodin. However they decided whom to contact, the metrics apparently indicated those three people.

Opinions?

Thanks André

1 Like

I have never heard of this platform, but it seems to be legit.

@calmh, @AudriusButkevicius, @imsodin any thoughts on this?

If it is really a legitimate source of funding, we should not let it slip. I don’t want to claim it without your consent or at least some opinions though.

I found the mail in my spam box now. I’ll sign in and see what’s what.

2 Likes

So as far as I can tell this was essentially spam. Thanks.dev seems to be a platform to distribute donations based on dependencies, e.g. some Node project chips in $100 and it gets split into a few cents each to hundreds of their dependencies. We’re nobody’s dependency, in that sense. Sentry seems to use thanks.dev to give some money back to their dependencies, but it has nothing to do with us. We could potentially use it to sponsor our dependencies, if they were present there.

So how much are they actually offering to us? Sorry haven’t checked myself yet. But in the mail it sounded like they actually had a (small) share of the cake already allocated to Syncthing.

Nothing. No.

1 Like