One way synchronization (for Zotero storage folder)

Zotero is a literature management program that stores attachments (web pages and pdfs) in folders with unique random names. It is possible to synchronize these folders directly:

For my application, I would like to do the same, but only propagate in one direction, from system A to system B. Folders directly added to B should stay on B, as there is not enough space on A. (Zotero db will be synchronized through something called a group library).

Sync conflicts should be rare, as the folder names are random, the only way to create a sync conflict is to add a pdf item to A, wait for it to propagate to B, and then modify it on B (e.g. by annotating), or by adding a further attachment on B. I don’t like this, but I could live with the issue if there is no other solution.

My current idea is:

1. Set folder A to “Send Only”
  2. Set folder B to “Receive only”
  • Would this work in principle? Any better ideas?

Zotero stores all attachments in a single folder. Another idea is to two-way sync A to B’ and then create hardlinks for all items in B’ to B.

• Has anyone experience syncing Zotero? The storage folder contains thousands of files, some with UTF-8 filenames. I already got a warning that one filename was normalized. If syncing messes up some folders in an obscure way, it might take a long time to detect the issue and I might lose all entries added during that time, a risk I don’t want to take.

• Is there a way to deal with the sync conflict described above? Is it possible to only sync changes back from B to A if the file is already on A?

• If I accidentally press “Revert Local Changes” on B, it will delete all changes unique to B. This is a massive risk. Is there a way to disable this button?

I realize this is a bit of an obscure question, but maybe someone has a similar issue. Any pointers will be much appreciated!

Why don’t you just run a one way rsync every hour?

What’s the point of syncthing here?

I’ll have to think it through, but I think it will work perfectly. I never considered rsync, Zotero has its own cloud storage, but it can’t do one-way sync, I have been using syncthing for a while and read about the Receive Only folders and that is how I came up with the plan. Your idea is much better and simpler. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.