Noob question...

Hi, thanks for this amazing Syncthing. I have two questions…

1. If I put “Android/” in the .stignore file, will it ignore that folder? Or what is the correct way to ignore a folder?

2. What is “ignore permissions”? If I don’t select it, will it ignore files that are byte sized?

1. I’m not exactly sure about the /, but it should ignore every folder ending with Android (case-sensitive)
  2. “ignore permissions” means that local changes to permission won’t count as a change, and syncthing won’t try to change permissions of incomming files resulting in default permissions (as in umask).
1 Like

The foot note in ignores documentation says

Please note that directory patterns ending with a slash some/directory/ matches the content of the directory, but not the directory itself. If you want the pattern to match the directory and its content, make sure it does not have a / at the end of the pattern.

So to ignore Android, just type Android

1 Like

Thank you sir. How do I ignore a specific folder and file?

There Useful .stignore Patterns

Just type Folder/File

And to ignore “all but…” there is a nice discussion here with examples : un-ignore subfolders & files of ignored folder

1 Like

Thank you guys! Hope Syncthing evolves to be a big bad beast tech animal. Gonna go donate to help feed Syncthing. If you use Syncthing, we should all donate what we can to keep this kicka*s thing called Syncthing to keep our data save and ours from the bad uncles.:grinning::+1::ok_hand::muscle:

If “ignore permissions” keeps local files unchanged, would “send & recieve” override it? Or are they two different options?

They are two grids one above the other. Ignore is usefull when using read only too. I use it to screen .pdf only in read only mode, so I’m sure I won’t propagate other things than pdf. Ignore set what is handled, and the send-receive/read-only sets how to behave with them.

Ingore permissions is not the same as ignore patters (@brunod). Ignore permissions is independent from folder type (send&receive), it just means that the file permission information is neither changed on your computer nor sent to other devices.

Oops, sorry !

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.