Newbie Questions

Hey Everyone,

A few questions for you all:

• Can Syncthing be installed and run successfully in a ‘Shared Hosting’ environment? Meaning, I don’t have a dedicated VPS or Server. From what I saw, I can just download the binary directly in a particular folder within my /home folder, I can cd into that directory then run syncthing? Is this correct?

• I saw that there is a flavor known as ‘Syncthing-GTK’. What exactly is this ‘flavor’ for and how is it different from regular Syncthing?

Thank you!

BJ

If you can run a binary, you should be able to run syncthing. Gtk and others are GUI wrappers which provide a native UI rather than a web ui.

@AudriusButkevicius,

Thank you very much for responding. I currently have a Shared Hosted Account running 64-Bit ‘CloudLinux’. I also don’t have root access.

How do you recommend I attempt to install Syncthing on ‘CloudLinux’?

Thank you,

BJ

There is nothing to install, as I said, if you can run a binary, just download it and run it. If you have sone access to startup scripts, you can add it there to make sure it runs on startup.

Hello AudriusButkevicius,

Thank you again for your help with my questions. Since the Server that is hosting my Shared Account is running on 64-bit version of CloudLinux, which specific binary do you recommend for me to download?

Also, if I am able to run the binary, how would I be able to access the WebUI?

Thanks!

BJ.

[quote=“b1ggjoe, post:5, topic:2654”]…64-bit version of CloudLinux, which specific binary do you recommend for me to download? [/quote]

You need Linux 64bit

You should be able to access the WebUI from port 8384.

Here’s more info for you. By the way, CloudLinux is similar to CentOS:

If you need help with specific install questions post here in the forum. Good luck!

Unless the default config has changed in the meantime, I am pretty sure you will have to modify the config file manually (~/.config/syncthing/config.xml):

In the key <gui enabled="true" tls="false"> <address>127.0.0.1:8384</address> you need to change the address to someting like 0.0.0.0:8384, otherwise you won’t be able to access it. The first thing you should do, once you reached the ui is setting up a password…

right, see the wiki for more info