New package for Synology NAS

I agree, and I know. That is not the reason why I say that. The reason is a caring one.

SynoCommunity updated from v1.2.2 to v1.3.4 today and messed with it. Why there did not go straight to v1.4.0 is also not clear to me, because of course many of the updater are surely now at least on v1.4.0 or even on v1.4.1-rc.3. The database schema no longer fits. That’s why I deleted the entire database beforehand. Next is now, the whole package no longer runs after the update.

In any case, SynoCommunity is not paying attention. The reputable package from Kastelo is better (!), also in the concept. I have therefore deleted the SC package and have now switched to the Kastelo SPK at all Synologys, one of which is already installed.

After I added the source I can see no syncthing package. If I understand this correctly my 411slim NAS has an Marvell Kirkwood 88F6282 processor that uses the ARMv5TE architecture. Is it possible to provide a package for older ARM as well or is there a technical limitation?

If the package doesn’t show up it’s not one of the supported platforms, sorry.

1 Like

In each Synology package is defined in the INFO. If I unzip the Syncthing package for Synology, in the INFO I found arch="$(pkg_get_unified_platform)", so is variable and not fixed. It seems the same as arch="noarch" is used, if the platform is irrelevant or should not restrict.

1 Like

Thank you for getting back to me. I understand ARMv5TE is not supported and will try to manually install the arm64 release as per this other forum thread.

My setup is:

Send only folder on Windows 10 machine

Receive only folder on Synology DS416play

Synology Kastelo Inc. latest version installed.

Media Server installed on Synology.

I can browse and play video and music files on my TV via uPnP if those files are copied to Synology “manually” using WinSCP.

If those files are synced from Windows 10 machine then those files are created and I see the owner of them is syncthing.net but those files are not visible on TV.

I have granted Read permission to Everyone group

I have granted Read permission to Users group

I have even granted Full Control to both groups - no luck - files and folders created by syncthing.net and owned by this account are not visible on TV.

Note that the media server only works in the systemfolders “photo”, “music”, “video”. So the first question is where Syncthing stores the files on Synology. Then I assume that the rights for Syncthing are set for all the sync folders.

Furthermore, it should be irrelevant who created the files, whether from the WinSCP user or from the user syncthing.net or the group syncthing, either one or the other is in the directory, that should have no influence.

It would be good if we had more details and maybe a few screenshots.

Media server is able to share other folders as well when added at Media Indexing an this is done so I “see” video files in the folder I have added as this which contain video, and I “see” music files in the folder I have added as this one which contain music and so on for pictures as well: image

so this is not the issue. Then I have that folder with music (which is already specified in Indexing) with the content synced from PC (The best-various artists) and folder created manually via WinSCP:

And this is how I see it on TV: image

Folder synced from PC with syncthing.net owner is not visible.

Did you set “ignore permissions” in Syncthing? It’s quite important.

yes, source (Send only) and destination folder (Receive only) are having “ignore permissions” flag set.

But I think this is irrelevant as this setting is valid only for FAT files system:

“File permission bits are ignored when looking for changes. Use on FAT file systems.”

Additional information: on my PC I can browse what is shared on Synology and the same - I can see only those folders that are not created by sync process: image

It’s super relevant, the tip just means that FAT is one common situation where it’s useful.

Yes, of course, I meant it’s not the issue on my case as source and target are not FAT file systems. Are you able to reproduce the issue?

Tested also with “standard” music folder:

The same result: synced folder is not visible on TV.

Synology not using a FAT file system is irrelevant here, you have to enable the “ignore permissions” option anyway.

When Syncthing tries to set the permission bits, it only handles the POSIX compatible stuff. That does work, but clears the ACL based rules that Synology usually applies (which is actually the right thing to do). So you have to tell Syncthing to not try that and all files will then inherit their ACL from the parent folders.

1 Like

The terminology in the GUI is simply misleading.

The synchronization itself apparently worked, so the files should be on the DS. The first question is how long the indexing takes, regardless of who the files are upload, because the files can only be seen after indexing have been completed.

Then we should do a test. Apparently you uploaded the files via WinSCP as an administrator. Can you maybe use a “normal user” for this? Because Syncthing as a user or group is not a member of the administrator group. This enables us to see if this works via a normal user or not. Further, did you log in with WinSCP via SCP or FTP? With SCP you are usually logged in as admin or root, with FTP it would be different.

When you added the user syncthing.net or the group syncthing to the directory, did you also inherit these rights manually in the subfolders? Sometimes it is better to do this manually.

I have a Microsoft background and know what are NTFS and shares ACLs but how it works on Linux based OS is kind of unknown area.

So could you please specify what permissions should I set on /music/ folder in order to achieve what you are writing: “So you have to tell Syncthing to not try that and all files will then inherit their ACL from the parent folders” ? As mentioned I tried with some permissions settings revoking “Take ownership” “Change permissions”:

and also revoking “Write attributes” and “Write extended attributes”: image

but still folders synced from PC to Synology are getting syncthing.net as the owner and are not visible on TV.

Checked that - indexing is completed almost at the same time when files are synced.

I meant you must set the “Ignore permissions” option within all Syncthing folders’ configuration on the NAS side. @calmh This should probably be default for the SPK package?

To recover from the “wrong” permissions caused by having it disabled, you essentially have to reset all permissions from the DSM GUI to whatever is needed IIRC. It’s been some time since I handled such problems, so not quite sure but I remember that the Synology help was rather good to explain the two overlaid permission systems (POSIX and ACL) and what is needed to make it work as expected.

General advice on DSM: never touch the POSIX permissions, use what they intended. For your understanding as a Windows user: POSIX is basically like the good old read-only flag on a file, although much more powerful. ACLs are comparable to the Windows world, but overrule the simpler POSIX system. Synology has their own tool and system to manage ACLs.

As I have informed already at the beginning: “ignore permissions” option is enabled on both sides: PC and Synology and that doesn’t do any difference.

I have just abandoned the idea to sync music files from PC to Synology as the files synced and shared by Media Server installed on Synology are not visible on TV.

I’m gonna copy music files from PC to Synology using WinSCP.