New package for Synology NAS

No, there were no changes between those versions either. But reinstalling a package will likely regenerate /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

Old entrances: for user the same, for group is different

syncthing:x:104555:syncthing.net

syncthing.net:x:132086:132086::/var/packages/syncthing.net/target:/sbin/nologin

But I think, because of I correct the entrance for the SynoComm. with ID 104555 now is corrected from Kastelo installation, because both packages uses “syncthing” as group. For me a confusion.

Like I said, IDs are assigned by the system. There’s a database from which /etc/passwd and /etc/group are generated. You can use the synouser and synogroup tools to communicate with this database. Don’t try to change the passwd and group files manually.

Two users both being members of a syncthing group is not a conflict. It’s how groups are intended to work.

In fact I try to help out with the SynoCommunity package, though in no “official” capacity. Will try to get a PR for including version v1.4.0 ready as time permits.

Regarding the permission management, so far I failed to grok their user and group creation code. It’s rather complicated because of the need to automatically transition from an older permission system in DSM 5.x to the current DSM 6.x.

Is this repo still supported and are there packages for ARM? I’ve got a synology DSM216j and I cannot see any packages in this repository.

Sure, and yes, at least as far as the armv7 and armv8 archs. The Synology platforms are a mess though. Assuming you mean DS216j, this list calls the platform “Armada38x” which according to Synology’s package scripts is not armv7 or armv8 but “armv7 not ready platforms”. I don’t know what that means, but in practice it apparently means that it will not use a regular ARM package. Sorry.

The regular ARM build, e.g.

https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/releases/download/v1.4.0/syncthing-linux-arm-v1.4.0.tar.gz

works totally fine on the DS216j :slight_smile: thats what I always used.

1 Like

Then you’re good to go. :+1:

1 Like

That’s what I thought :), but I cannot see any package:

I understand that as just keep using that then.

Actually if that works, why don’t we advice all lost soles souls (niceish typo :slight_smile: ) that were damaged by the devil (aka Synology) to just use our binaries in directories outside of the shackles of Synology? I assume one answer might be there is no directory on a Synology that is free of Synology’s shackles.

1 Like

Yeah, there isn’t really. Both of the packagings are more or less just the official Syncthing releases with a bunch of scaffolding for user permissions and the UI. Running the standard version yourself with whatever hacks is about equivalent.

Please consider, that with the NAS that depending a type, a corresponding performance is available. The performance of the DS216j is such that the user has to tune Syncthing accordingly with corresponding requirements. The RAM memory has 512 MB, which limits the activities.

foonix already runs Syncthing, apparently fine, under the current constraints. That was not the question.

I agree, and I know. That is not the reason why I say that. The reason is a caring one.

SynoCommunity updated from v1.2.2 to v1.3.4 today and messed with it. Why there did not go straight to v1.4.0 is also not clear to me, because of course many of the updater are surely now at least on v1.4.0 or even on v1.4.1-rc.3. The database schema no longer fits. That’s why I deleted the entire database beforehand. Next is now, the whole package no longer runs after the update.

In any case, SynoCommunity is not paying attention. The reputable package from Kastelo is better (!), also in the concept. I have therefore deleted the SC package and have now switched to the Kastelo SPK at all Synologys, one of which is already installed.

After I added the source I can see no syncthing package. If I understand this correctly my 411slim NAS has an Marvell Kirkwood 88F6282 processor that uses the ARMv5TE architecture. Is it possible to provide a package for older ARM as well or is there a technical limitation?

If the package doesn’t show up it’s not one of the supported platforms, sorry.

1 Like

In each Synology package is defined in the INFO. If I unzip the Syncthing package for Synology, in the INFO I found arch="$(pkg_get_unified_platform)", so is variable and not fixed. It seems the same as arch="noarch" is used, if the platform is irrelevant or should not restrict.

1 Like

Thank you for getting back to me. I understand ARMv5TE is not supported and will try to manually install the arm64 release as per this other forum thread.

My setup is:

Send only folder on Windows 10 machine

Receive only folder on Synology DS416play

Synology Kastelo Inc. latest version installed.

Media Server installed on Synology.

I can browse and play video and music files on my TV via uPnP if those files are copied to Synology “manually” using WinSCP.

If those files are synced from Windows 10 machine then those files are created and I see the owner of them is syncthing.net but those files are not visible on TV.

I have granted Read permission to Everyone group

I have granted Read permission to Users group

I have even granted Full Control to both groups - no luck - files and folders created by syncthing.net and owned by this account are not visible on TV.