name is invalid, must not end in space or period on Windows

But both systems where it is stored are Windows:
Windows\Video\LUTs\ML Fudak V1\ML Fudak V1 LUTs \ML Fudak 2383 Rec709 Alexa V1.cube

Even more I can easy create directory with trailing space on Windows.

It can be Windows Explorer issue, but not the Win32 API itself.

This is by design.

Even though there are “hacks” to create files with illegal filenames in Windows (e.g. the trailing space mentioned above, or things like nul, com1, etc.), Windows Explorer (and most other Windows software) cannot deal with them, thus Syncthing prevents such files from being synced to Windows systems.

But the name is not illegal. It is possible to create directory with such name.
If file system supports such directory then it should be available.
Windows Explorer cannot be used as source of rules.

I do not know if answer matches specification, but it looks so:

Non printable ASCII 0-31, but space is 32. So it is the bug in Syncthing.

This has been discussed to death on the GitHub issue tracker, so I would suggest looking up the multiple issues that have dealt with this problem so far.

The main idea for using Windows Explorer as the baseline is that this is what your typical Windows user is going to use when dealing with files created by Syncthing. If they cannot delete a file that has been synced to their computer (e.g. in a folder that their Linux friend has added there), they will come here complaining about Syncthing creating “broken” files.

I know a lot of people who use Far Manager or Total Commander or any other.
I hope Syncthing is not for housewifes only but also for IT professionals.

In any case what is about option in settings? No need to choose side. Just allow both modes (FS driven / Explorer driven).

Samba works great with all that, MySQL have option for case. So maybe here we can give more flexibility.
What do you think?

Yeah, I would have no problem with having an advanced option for this. However, this still requires the code responsible for enabling and disabling the option, so unless someone decides to do the work, you’re out of luck, at least for now, unfortunately.

OK, can you put it at least to backlog?

I think in my particular case I can rename directories ))

I am just a regular user (and a minor contributor, but with no real responsibility), so you may only try to put a feature request on GitHub. Don’t be surprised if it gets closed though, unless you follow up with a relevant pull request, as there are lots of feature requests there hanging around for many years now, and the maintainers may not want any more added to the already very long list.

2 Likes

Sad, I tried Syncthing many years ago, now I am trying to give it 2nd chance ))
And no luck as I see… Nothing is changed, great idea, problematic implementation.

Well, if you absolutely need this feature, at the moment the only possible way would be to modify the code yourself and disable/remove the relevant parts, and then compile your own binaries. Not necessary recommending going this route, but there is likely no other alternative.

2 Likes

Do not end a file or directory name with a space or a period. Although the underlying file system may support such names, the Windows shell and user interface does not. However, it is acceptable to specify a period as the first character of a name. For example, “.temp”

I think ST is correct here.

4 Likes

:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Please note that there is a draft PR that addresses this issue: https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing/pull/7876 . It’s still in draft status until more tests are written, but I am using the branch locally, on Windows and Linux systems, on NTFS and exFAT partitions, and don’t have any outstanding issues with the code.

the Windows shell and user interface does not.

It is not Win32 API. So kernel obviously support that.

It means you will not be able to create folder named “Some name”, if "Some name " exists using windows explorer. But even explorer can move or copy trees with such names.

So I can move directory tree to samba in both directions with Windows Explorer, but I cannot do that using Syncthing.

Indeed.

You can move or rename the tree, but you cannot copy or delete it. I’d not really call this kind of a state “working” :wink:.

In any case only shell has problems, but not other Win32 API programs.

P.S. Yes copying (at least locally) create “Some name - Copy” directory. Moving works…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.